Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does Anyone Else Think Like Me >

Does Anyone Else Think Like Me

Does Anyone Else Think Like Me

Old 10-23-2010, 06:33 PM

I don't give to random people...I'm making a quilt for my mother in law for Christmas. It's in colours I know she likes and uses in her home. I also know it will be cared for, impeccably. And loved immeasurably. Because she is that kind of woman. I won't make a large quilt (like the one for my MIL) for just anyone. I know that the quilts I give away are no longer mine and I'm not terribly bothered by what might happen to them once it's out of my hands...but I only try to make things (anything, not just quilts...I make a bunch of stuff!) for people that I don't think will appreciate or understand the work put into it.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I have to say that the relative that did that would never get another gift from me.
And would be shot at dawn!:hunf:
Jan in VA
Right on Jan!

I usually ask, or if it's a surprise gift ask a family member about colour choices before making a gift quilt. If I can, I get a look at what else they have in their house to get an idea of their taste. So far - no oil catchers.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:50 PM

Be careful committing yourself on color. For their 25th anniversary I made a new kingsize for DH's DB + SIL, to replace their wedding quilt which had been on the bed. I asked for color preference, and haven't been able to sew red violet or purple since then! (The previous quilt, also king, was a color challenge, 40% my least-favorite color...)
On the other hand, MIL wouldn't let the cat into the bedroom and willed the handquilted king I made to DD.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:08 AM

I don't worry so much that they would throw it away or not use it, but that they would feel OBLIGATED to use it when they really didn't like it. Lately I've been making stuff for ME ME ME, but I don't think I'd ever put so much time into something unless I've a) visited their home and seen not just their colors but what's "missing" from their decor or b) for a kid that's something a kid would also love, like trains or Dora or princesses or some such. Temporary use for a kid is OK with me. For newborns, I don't make the quilt until I know the nursery decor - not just the color, but the theme.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:13 AM

I try to choose fabrics carefully if giving something as a gift. I generally know the recipient's likes. That said I am so done making anything for my oldest DD. I made her a bag as a gift after she got engaged on the top of the Eiffel tower. I used black and white fabric with the Eiffel tower on it and searched until I found a coordinate that very closely matched the main fabric. The bag turned out beautifully but on opening it she said "I guess I can store junk in it." :?

She had said she would like a wall hanging. I was in the process of making the one in my avatar for a co-worker's wedding present. I asked if she would like one similar to it and she said it was too "old fashioned". So I went with a modern design and fabrics. She was not very excited when I gave it to her and when she was showing me around her new house I noticed it thrown in her junk closet. :( I noticed a couple of quilts displayed around the house. They were made by her new MIL.

Mostly things I have made are loved and used. Live and learn. This Christmas she gets a store bought sweater. Never again.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:14 AM

Oh my. Someone had a quilt under the car with oil on it? I'd be very hurt.

My DDs have my very early quilts and afghans that I learned on. They use the early (and ugly!) quilts to sit on at the beach or to put the babies on outside in the shade. And they keep my early (also ugly) afghans in the cars in case the kids get cold. All this is fine by me because they also have some of my later quilts and afghans in the house on beds, couches, etc. which they take very good care of.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by RkayD
I started making quilts for my sister in laws kids that were having babies left & right...Not one of them ~ 4...said thank you. Nor have I ever seen them with the quilts. So I have decided no more for them. I'll start making them for MY grandbabies to be. I did make some cute Halloween things for a really good friend and saw it out on the porch wet and covered in mud. It hurt my feelings that something I took such pleasure in making JUST for her was treated like a piece of trash. I'm very cautious..about who I give things to now.
I don't know if it's the luck of the draw or what. Made dresses for my niece. SIL gave them away. Made REQUESTED jacket for MIL that was given to the cleaning lady. Hoped she enjoyed it. Made baby clothes, bassinet skirt etc, for DIL, REQUESTED, which she sold at the flea market. They didn't like all that homemade stuff.

I'm not a novice sewer. I had my own dressmaking business for years and often couldn't keep up with the demand. Did I sew for them again? Never!!!!!
Old 10-24-2010, 04:18 AM

Most people think they are easily replaceable, like the ones you buy in the stores. They don't realize they are works of art. I offered to make my very good friend one out of love and he said, "I don't care for them". It made me realize everybody doesn't think they are so valuable. I give baby quilts freely because babies "love" their blankies but the big people quilts I keep for me and my children/ grandchildren, who KNOW how hard mom works on them. I would make one for the folks overseas and have made several for no kill animal shelters though. Even if it gets all torn up I will know it was loved. I guess it depends on the situation, but I definitely won't offer another to someone I think won't appreciate it.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:21 AM

I feel your pain. I made matching afgans for my brother-in-law and his wife a few years ago. I made his as an Irish chain in dark brown with cream colored blocks and her's was the opposite. They were very nice (even if I do say so myself). A year or so later I find out they their much beloved dogs use them. I do understand that they didn't ask for these quilts and they don't have appreciation for home made items and once given away, they can be used as they wish but I was very disappointed when I found out how they use them.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:35 AM

Other than my long-gone grandmother and great-grandmother, no one in my family is a quilter and my two sisters even dislike sewing of any kind. Between the three of us, we have eleven grandkids so over the years I have made each of them a baby quilt and a Christmas quilt. The tradition is that the Christmas quilt comes out on December 1st for one month and is then packed away until next year. They all love their quilts and know that the baby one is meant to be used well and if it wears out completely, that's OK because there will be another one down the road for them!