Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does Anyone Else Think Like Me >

Does Anyone Else Think Like Me

Does Anyone Else Think Like Me

Old 10-24-2010, 05:44 AM

If any of my carefully made quilts ended up being misused, I would be plenty upset. I did make a baby quilt for my neighbor's new grandson and the mom never said thank you or acknowledged it until I happened to see her outside and asked how the baby likes the quilt, she then hesitated Oh! Thank you yes we enjoy it very much. A phone call would of been nice and being an old fart, I would have written a note. Don't people appreciate handwork anymore? No one seems to want to thank or give any acknowledgement. The fabric alone ran me close to $50 but they never think of that. Sorry to vent but it really ticks me off when so much is taken for granted.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:54 AM

This is really sad. I am sure the receivers (some but not all) of a quilt do not know the time, effort, thought, and money that is put into each and every quilt made by hand (I mean not by factory made). Perhaps they should be told in some way. Perhaps a tag stating the hours spent, what part is done my hand and/or machine or both. how the colors were picked along with the pattern. Some maybe not all should be known to the receiver. Also you are all so correct in how much this hurts the quilters heart when one is carelessly destroyed. What do you think?
Old 10-24-2010, 05:54 AM

There are just some people who I will not give a quilt to because I know they would not take care of it and give it the proper love one must give to a quilt. Just think of all the hours of sewing, pin and needle sticks, crawling around on the floor getting everything just right to pin..... Naw, some people wouldn't appreciate that. If I know they would love it, I'll make a gift. I love seeing people's eyes light up when they get one. That feeling goes a long way.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:43 AM

i made a very special quilt for freinds second marriage only to have it put in storage where anything could happen to it yes it was their colors my daughter said she thinks about asking them for if they are not going to use it before something happens to it
Old 10-24-2010, 06:50 AM

Call me I am selfish but the only quilts that I am making to give away are to my 7 grandchildren. I am chosing colors that they like now and I hope that they will like them as they get older. I want them to curl up under their quilt when they are older and remember my love. Also I have several pattern and fabrics that I really like and I am going to keep them for myself. I can not afford to make and give away guilts even to charity. Also my friends and family do not exchange such expensive gifts. I make chemo caps, baby hats, and afgans squares to donate but these are fairly cheap to make.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:53 AM

About time any cost of fabric: gave one of my first quilts to a 4 year old nephew for Xmas gift and DH said, "is that all? he needs something else." While I think he meant that a 4 year old wants toys rather than a quilt - I had to remind him just how much I spent at the LQS on that quilt. My nephew is now 6 and was impressed with a little bag I made his younger sister for her birthday - i.e. that I MADE it (his mother doesn't sew)- so he may get a couple of pillow cases this year.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:09 AM

I usually ask the colors of what the person would like, or a object they may have in mind.
The person that made that quilt that was later found on the sidewalk with oil, and such would make me upset and I sure would cross them off my list of any further quilting.
I made a full sized quilt for my granddaughter, she was 5 at the time. This one was the 2nd quilt I made (the picture shown in my avitar). They had a German Shepherd, and when we went to visit, the quilt had some squares torn, with the stuffing hanging out ( I made quillo/puff) it was also hanging off the bed with the kids jumping all over it.
My daughter asked if I could fix it!!! Well it was only my 2nd quilt, and I had no idea how to remove the torn squares and replace them. I didn't even think I had enough fabric, and I sure did not fell to fix it, since this may happen again.
I don't think I should have made such a quilt at that young age. I learned a very valuable lesson
Old 10-24-2010, 07:20 AM

I used to make quilts for my kids, but they were so picky, i.e. I want these colors and this pattern, on and on. And then when the quilt was finished, they had complaints about it. Now I just make what I want to make and if they like it they can have it.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:50 AM

There was a quilter named Mary Schaffer that found an old quilt in the trunk of a car. She thought "How beautiful, evan dirty and someone put a lot of work into it.

She then went on to become a world famous hand quilter and applique master. She died about two years ago but I have bought the book about her years ago. Gwen Marston worked with her for years. Mary was a delightful lady. I think she hand quilted for about 40 years - all because of that old dirty quilt.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I have to say that the relative that did that would never get another gift from me.
I AGREE!