Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does Anyone Else Think Like Me >

Does Anyone Else Think Like Me

Does Anyone Else Think Like Me

Old 10-24-2010, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Marcy J.
As I read the various topics, I realize many quilters give their quilts away. Unless someone would ask me and discuss the colors they would like, I hesitate to sew items that the recipent might not like. I have a friend who lovingly made a quilt for a relative and later found it on the cement outside with oil and dirt from a car. I would not want to put all the time and money needed to sew a quilt and and come to realize the person really did not like it nor will they use it.

I am finishing a quilt for my GD and one for her sister.(They showed me with colored pictures what their favorite colors are.) Everying else I have sewed which is not a lot, I have kept.
I do have to say that this has to be a very rude and crude person to take a gift and use it in this manner. I personally would take that as an insult. Do not get me wrong, I firmly believe that all quilts should be used. BUT NOT AS OIL RAGS!
I think I would be tempted to ask the person why they hated the quilt so much. But that is just me.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:40 AM

God honors the giving, not what happens to it after it leaves your hands, no mattern what it is.
Amen to that.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:41 AM

I gave a quilt to a family in need after a house fire.Have made full/Q size for DDs & Grkids.Made a K size for one DD with matching shams & wall hanging. All was used & appreciated.Also, Mom loved hers.

On the other hand, My Sis started out saying any color would be fine, to saying she liked shades of purple,then she doesn't like squares,then she has no place for purple...then finally saying she doesn't really like quilts.

That's ok with me....rather have an honest opinion.Of course,I have lots of purples now, LOL
Old 10-24-2010, 04:48 AM

I don't know if I could just stand there if I saw one of my quilts covered in oil. I do believe I would at least ask them, "Oh, I see you didn't care for the quilt I made" or something to that effect. Actually, I think they should be shot for treating a piece of art so poorly.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:05 AM

That person was not quilt worthy!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I tend to give them to kid charities more than family or friends. That way...I can always believe that they were appreciated and loved (at least for awhile). I've given 2 to a friend for her grandchildren. The Mother of those kids has never even acknowledged my presence in a room if we happen to meet- like she doesn't know who I am when I know good and well that she does.:roll:
Old 10-24-2010, 05:24 AM

I've been quilting more than 40 years and give most of my quilts away. I look at the person's home, furniture, colorways, and style, and I choose colors based on that.

The most difficult quilt I ever made was my daughter's wedding quilt. I wanted to please both of them, and they have very disparate tastes.

Her husband is a psychology professor, loves jazz, is very conservative and tailored in his furniture -- big leather sofas, classic wood, and and his wardrobe-- gorgeous muted color sweaters and button down shirts.

My daughter is an artist. Color is her passion. It was quite a difficult quilt to design. But they love it and it has been on their bed for 5 years, so I guess I got it right. They just asked if I could make them another one.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:28 AM

Sometimes people just don't have a clue what goes into making a quilt. That is no excuse for outright abusing a gift given in love by someone who loved this family enough to spend the money, spend the time, spend all of their talents and unselfishly giving all they had to someone who didn't appreciate what a gift they had been given. Believe me there will come a day when a friend of this family will see this quilt and be outright disgusted to see what has happened to this quilt. Maybe they will even educate this family in what a gift they had and threw out. Having said all of that I also would want you to know I don't just give my quilts away. I usually have someone who means a great deal to me say something like I would love to have a quilt like that because it's beautiful. That quilt usually leaves my home in a pillow case to live in another home who will love it too. I do make quilts for our local police department who give them to children who have had their homes destroyed. We also have another group of women who make teddy bears to go with our quilts. These quilts may not always be loved and taken care of but for a while a small child gets the warmth and comfort they need at the time.

I also agree with the writer who said: and they shall be shot at sunrise.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Marcy J.
As I read the various topics, I realize many quilters give their quilts away. Unless someone would ask me and discuss the colors they would like, I hesitate to sew items that the recipent might not like. I have a friend who lovingly made a quilt for a relative and later found it on the cement outside with oil and dirt from a car. I would not want to put all the time and money needed to sew a quilt and and come to realize the person really did not like it nor will they use it.

I am finishing a quilt for my GD and one for her sister.(They showed me with colored pictures what their favorite colors are.) Everying else I have sewed which is not a lot, I have kept.
I keep very few of the things I make and so far they have been appreciated some to the point of me having to repair them years later. I would be upset if I found one like that but they would never get anything else from me. People still have baby quilts that I made for them. I have a nephew that just graduated as a deputy sheriff and his blanket is still around. He is 25 almost 26. Sad story but I guess once you give it away it belongs to them and they can do what they want with it but like I said never again.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:38 AM

The last one I made I gave to my neighbors grand baby I was not happy with it (one of thoes you rip out several times) they loved it and it hanges on the babys crib(the daughter could have any of the ones in the stores to match the decore of the room) I am glad she liked it. The D is one of the few kids to day that sends thank you notes.