Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does Anyone Else Think Like Me >

Does Anyone Else Think Like Me

Does Anyone Else Think Like Me

Old 10-24-2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by krisgray
About time any cost of fabric: gave one of my first quilts to a 4 year old nephew for Xmas gift and DH said, "is that all? he needs something else." While I think he meant that a 4 year old wants toys rather than a quilt - I had to remind him just how much I spent at the LQS on that quilt. My nephew is now 6 and was impressed with a little bag I made his younger sister for her birthday - i.e. that I MADE it (his mother doesn't sew)- so he may get a couple of pillow cases this year.
Unfortunately, youngsters seldom realize the time and work and love that goes into a handmade item like a quilt. I got my first one when I was a newlywed in my 20's and even then I did not appreciate what it represented, however I always took care of it since it came from my husbands favorite Aunt, now that quilt is over 50 years old. My grandmother made quilts for each of my sons (3) and they were between the ages of 10 and 19 and I gave them to the sons, 2 of the 3 quilts have survived to today, and the third had the misfortune to be involved in a divorce, need I say more?
Old 10-24-2010, 09:44 AM

I will not make my 2 oldest grand daughters a quilt again for how they acted when I have these each one a few years back! I also found in their basement a baby quilt I had nmade for my first Grand Daughter on a shelf so I took it and will have a note on it it will go to her first child so that will be a gon time she is only 13 now!
Old 10-24-2010, 10:04 AM

I usually meke quilts I love with colors I found at LQS store that I fell in love with. When they are finished I have them out for everyone to enjoy and the first one that says they love it, guess what their next gift is?
Old 10-24-2010, 10:27 AM

I made a quilt, when I was a raw novice for my neice who was emigrating to Australia. I collected scraps of any type of material from all the people close to her. These fabrics were from shirts, dresses, or anything else that had belonged to these family and friends. I made it a scrappy strippy quilt, and told her to wrap herself in it if she was feeling homesick. Fourteen years later, she is back home and still uses the quilt on her bed. I cringe when I see it, because it is so un proffesional, but she would not part with it. I love her. I also made a baby quilt three years ago for my new grandaughter, which is now nearly worn out. We have to spread it on the floor when we dance, and use it as a tent. amongst many other uses, I also made her a christmas quilt last year, but she insists in using it all year round. I love her. I think we can say that they are both QUILT WORTHY
Old 10-24-2010, 10:41 AM

Hey, Despised Quilters, you reminded me of a poem you might want to pass on when you gift a quilt.
ADMONITIONS UPON THE GIFT OF A QUILT by Diane Holden
This quilt was made with love and care
To keep you from the cold night air.
I only ask you treat it well,
For any broken stich will tell.
The handiwork that you adore
Must not be dragged across the floor.
If youngsters bounce upon your bed,
Then substitute another spread.
And don't spill tea or jam or cake
upon what it took me years to make.
But brush away each guilty crumb,
Imagining my bleeding thumb.
If you do stain it, I beseech,
I beg you - spare the chlorine bleach!
If you would hang it on the wall,
Forget the nails, or not at all.
Protect from mildew and from moth;
Don't use it as a picnic cloth.
This quilt I made as a gift to you,
But it's my share of history, too.

(Edit as desired, but give credit to the original author, too.)
Old 10-24-2010, 10:48 AM

Out of all the quilts I've made, I've given most away. To my DD's and grandkids. Made a memory quilt for my retiring boss and baby quilts for GGK's. So lately I've decided I'll just make quilts I like, keep them and my heirs can fight over them when I'm gone. Tee Hee...
Old 10-24-2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by ajohn52
Out of all the quilts I've made, I've given most away. To my DD's and grandkids. Made a memory quilt for my retiring boss and baby quilts for GGK's. So lately I've decided I'll just make quilts I like, keep them and my heirs can fight over them when I'm gone. Tee Hee...
"Blessed are the children of piecemakers, for they shall inherit the quilts."
Old 10-24-2010, 11:42 AM

I make Art quilts, meant to live on a wall. I have made three, that have left my house and those had fabrics that were chosen or OK'd by the owners. If someone used a handmade item for an oil mat, I'd never give them another thing, ever.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:44 AM

I am also very careful who I give my quilts too as I have seen kids using them on a clothes line for tents also tried giving one for a wedding present never even got a thank you
or said if she liked it and the sad thing was I was offered 400.00 dollars for it by someone else also have had people put them in garage sales as the color did not match their room I only give mine when someone really likes it but mostly sell them or stack them up
Old 10-24-2010, 11:54 AM

My niece has been determined by family not to cherish heirloom quality gifts. Handmade gifts to her family now bear a label that requests "return to maker if no longer wanted."