Old 10-24-2010, 10:35 AM
QKO

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by QKO
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I have the Go and I has been a lifesaver for my sore hands and back. I cut 2 - 4 layers at a time. The handle may be a little hard to turn the first cuts. It loosens up and turns very smooth after awhile. If you want to do mass cutting or cut lots of layers you will need the Studio model. The Go Baby will use only the narrow die boards and will be less stable as it is very lightweight. The Go Baby is a great buy now, $99 from pre order shops. The dies will last for years of personal cutting.
We use the Studio cutter. You really shouldn't cut more than 4 layers of cloth in that one either, although it's possible to do up to 8 or more layers. With more than 4 layers in any of them you are taking the risk of the fabric stretching, giving you variance in the size of your end product.

Actually, I'll have to disagree with this statement. The Studio is built and sold to do 8 layers of cottons easily. And gets better cuts with more layers. This is what makes it commercial grade. I actually do 10 -12 layers of cottons with no problems. With flannels I lower it to 6-8 layers.
I guess my statement was a little misleading. The Studio can indeed cut more layers, the recommended limit is 10 layers.

What I really meant to say was you need to be careful about how many layers you are cutting.

If you are, for instance, cutting 5 inch squares off the width of fabric, you will get 4 squares to a fold (5-6 inch strip). That's four layers. However, since the 5 inch square cutter like many other dies, shares a common border, when you overlap two strips to cut squares from two different fabrics, you will in fact be cutting 8 layers at that point, so you need to watch out the number of actual layers you are putting in the machine, at the overlap points.

I agree also that the Studio cutter is an excellent high-volume cutter, probably why we have one. :mrgreen:

Sorry about my original, poorly-written comment.