View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Ramona Byrd

Since this topic started, I've gone through the box that has held my Mom's writings since she died in the early 90s. She was always writing, and I'd forgotten she had written and copy writed at least one of her songs, "Searching for a Gypsy". I can't find the record yet, but remember her singing it and others she wrote, even though she only had a 5th grade education. Photographic memory, could even remember who sat in every chair in each of her 5 years of school. We had her write it all down and when we took her to visit Milton, we asked her old school mates, who were shocked that she remembered correctly..after a lot of thought of their own. Never forgot what each of her kids did, either!!!

Mom rarely spoke of her childhood, just found her diary, it was hidden in a very old dress from the 1930s of hers I was keeping for my daughters. She called it "A story of a very lonely farm girl" which right there says it all.

Grandma, on the other hand, was always cheerfully working and I worked by her side and loved it. I still miss her a lot, my dear little Grandma who lived in her aprons and always seemed to have a hoe in her hands when she was outdoors.

Thanks for starting this, it has brought back many memories.