View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 06:59 AM
May in Jersey

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Grandma, on the other hand, was always cheerfully working and I worked by her side and loved it. I still miss her a lot, my dear little Grandma who lived in her aprons and always seemed to have a hoe in her hands when she was outdoors.

Thanks for starting this, it has brought back many memories.
I remember my Grandfather, my father's father, my other grandparents died before I was born or shorty after. In those days if you lived to 50 you were old. Anyway Grandpa lived until his 70's and and for most of my life he lived with us in a house that he owned, complicated arrangement between him and my parents. He was so good to us, every day on the way home from work he bought a candy bar and cut it into 4 pieces to share with my brother, sister and I. He bought us roller skates when all the other kids had them and our parents said they were too expensive. He bought me a typewriter when I was in high school because I wanted to be a secreatry and my parents wanted me to go into the garment trade sewing clothes in a factory. Thank you Grandpa, I think of you often and you helped me become the person I am today. As a secretary I left my neighborhood to work in the city and over the years worked at similar postions that opened up new worlds to me. I'm going to write this down and add some memories of him and his stories of growing up in Brooklyn, NY in the early 1900's. I'll put it in the frame with the picture I have of him and his taxi cab in New York around 1911 0r 1914.

Also, long overdue to write about the large ironstone macaroni platter that was my mother's mothers. My granddaughter Catherine would like it and I need to write grandma Louise's history down and the passing of her platter down from her to my mother to me, also the proper way to add the sauce, macaroni and grated cheese onto the platter. Sad that I never knew grandma Louise but her platter is part of our family history. Thanks for beginning this posting and all the memories it has generated for us. May in Jersey
Hope I can get this on my Watched Topics List