Old 10-28-2010, 06:25 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kimnkell
I am sorta confused with this fabric though, like there is a bunch of tan print and some tonal and almost solid FQ's and then there's brown, blue, green, black and burgundy. So should I do like the tan as the light side on all those colors and buy some more tan to go with the other colors since there wouldnt' be enough or how would you do it?
If you have a way to set the pictures of your fabric to black and white mode you can then easily see which colors "read" as dark and which as light. Another trick is to go the school supplies aisle at any office supply store or Walmart type store and buy a red page protector. They are those transparent plastic sleeves you put papers in. The red filters the colors so all you perceive are the tones of light medium and dark. I cut them in half so I am only looking through a single layer of the plastic. I then place it on top of my fabric strips and sort my tones into value of light and dark. From the color photo I see, it really looks like the tans in those fabrics "read" light. The reds, blues and greens read dark.

I too like a log cabin that is lights on one side and darks on the other. So many possiblities with layouts then. Those fabrics will make a great log cabin quilt BTW.