Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Could use some ideas for  a quilt for my cabin. >

Could use some ideas for a quilt for my cabin.

Could use some ideas for a quilt for my cabin.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:39 PM

I have bought some fabric called Holly Taylor Classics. It's beautiful! I want to make a log cabin quilt with it for my cabin and would like your input on how to do this. I am posting a pic of the fabric that I bought and the way that they have it in the picture I like this design of quilt. Is it considered a log cabin quilt or something else? Also, I'm not really sure on how to color arrange the blocks if I do it a different way other than how the picture looks. Does anyone know of where I could see a picture of a quilt done with this fabric? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kim

Oh, I have 36 assorted fat quarters of this fabric does anyone know how big of a quilt that this will make?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115308[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-115303.jpe  
Old 10-27-2010, 04:55 PM

Hi Kim!
Yes, it could be considered a log cabin the way they have it - I would suggest getting a pattern for one though, make it easier on yourself. You could do the same color scheme though.

The more seams you do, the more fabric you use. I'd make as many blocks as you can, and then see :-D

Do a google search, or make a sample block or two.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingbee12
Hi Kim!
Yes, it could be considered a log cabin the way they have it - I would suggest getting a pattern for one though, make it easier on yourself. You could do the same color scheme though.

The more seams you do, the more fabric you use. I'd make as many blocks as you can, and then see :-D

Do a google search, or make a sample block or two.

Good luck!
Thanks Emily! I plan on using one of my paper piecing patterns for the log cabin. I am hooked on paper piecing.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

I like the lighter fabrics on one side, and the darker fabrics on the other. If I don't have enough lights, I use the darker lights on the outside of the blocks.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I like the lighter fabrics on one side, and the darker fabrics on the other. If I don't have enough lights, I use the darker lights on the outside of the blocks.
Thanks Sadiemae. I'll have to make some practice blocks and see how they look that way.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:37 PM

if you seperate lights and darks in your square, you can then make some nice patterns once all the blocks are finished. Let us see a picture when finished. like the colors.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by scrapykate
if you seperate lights and darks in your square, you can then make some nice patterns once all the blocks are finished. Let us see a picture when finished. like the colors.
I am sorta confused with this fabric though, like there is a bunch of tan print and some tonal and almost solid FQ's and then there's brown, blue, green, black and burgundy. So should I do like the tan as the light side on all those colors and buy some more tan to go with the other colors since there wouldnt' be enough or how would you do it?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kimnkell
I am sorta confused with this fabric though, like there is a bunch of tan print and some tonal and almost solid FQ's and then there's brown, blue, green, black and burgundy. So should I do like the tan as the light side on all those colors and buy some more tan to go with the other colors since there wouldnt' be enough or how would you do it?
If you have a way to set the pictures of your fabric to black and white mode you can then easily see which colors "read" as dark and which as light. Another trick is to go the school supplies aisle at any office supply store or Walmart type store and buy a red page protector. They are those transparent plastic sleeves you put papers in. The red filters the colors so all you perceive are the tones of light medium and dark. I cut them in half so I am only looking through a single layer of the plastic. I then place it on top of my fabric strips and sort my tones into value of light and dark. From the color photo I see, it really looks like the tans in those fabrics "read" light. The reds, blues and greens read dark.

I too like a log cabin that is lights on one side and darks on the other. So many possiblities with layouts then. Those fabrics will make a great log cabin quilt BTW.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:33 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by kimnkell
If you have a way to set the pictures of your fabric to black and white mode you can then easily see which colors "read" as dark and which as light. Another trick is to go the school supplies aisle at any office supply store or Walmart type store and buy a red page protector. They are those transparent plastic sleeves you put papers in. The red filters the colors so all you perceive are the tones of light medium and dark. I cut them in half so I am only looking through a single layer of the plastic. I then place it on top of my fabric strips and sort my tones into value of light and dark. From the color photo I see, it really looks like the tans in those fabrics "read" light. The reds, blues and greens read dark.

I too like a log cabin that is lights on one side and darks on the other. So many possiblities with layouts then. Those fabrics will make a great log cabin quilt BTW.
I like the suggestion about the red filter!

If you have a black-and-white only printer - or can choose to print the fabric pictures only in black and white, that might be useful. You might be able to find pictures of *all* the fabrics on Moda's site, http://www.unitednotions.com. Print 'em all out in black-and-white, then cut 'em out (not with your fabric scissors, of course!) and you can play with them to your heart's delight without ever cutting into the real fabric.

It's cheap entertainment for a rainy day!

As to the picture you have... Moda *always* makes pictures of their entire collections in that fashion. So while the picture does remind one of a log cabin quilt, I don't think that's what Moda actually had in mind. It's just how they arrange their whole-collection pictures.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:44 AM

These are some great ideas girls. I appreciate the input.