Thread: Sewing Machines
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 12:26 PM
vintagemotif

My collection started this summer when I read a quilter's blog about free motion quilting on a treadle. Well, that sparked my interest and I started looking on CL for cheap treadles. A week later, I purchased two vintage machines on the same day. One was Singer 66 treadle and the other was Singer 15-91. The 15-91 had a broken male plug, and my husband said to look for another cheap machine on CL instead of paying $25 for the part from some internet shop (smart man). That led me to finding my 15-90. I then read about how wonderful it is to sew on 201-2 . While looking for attachment parts for my 66-1, I came across a 201-3. Shortly after that, I picked up a free treadle which my 201 went into. I then read that many quilters prefer free motion quilting with the 15-90 treadle. So, I took the 66-1 out of its treadle and put the 15-90 into the treadle. Now, I have one treadle (201) set up for piecing and the other treadle (15-90) set up for free motion quilting. I now love to use the treadles. I own a couple of others that found their way to me out of my fascination for vintage machines ( they are on display on my bookshelves in my sewing room). And my daughter's Christmas gift this year is the Singer 15-91.

I have sold a couple of machines that I picked up cheaply and cleaned. This has covered the cost of all my machines. So, now all my machines are paid for and free.