Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing Machines

In reading the comments in this section, I wonder why so many people have several sewing machines. It must take up so much room. Just wondering.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I think part of it, well for me anyway, is I love having a back-up so I'm never w/o a machine.
    But also those old ones are so wonderful! I've gotten really interested in old machines. They are workhorses.
    You're right about room though. I need to get another table for my old ones. A Featherweight is small though and very portable. I can use mine anywhere or take it to a class.
    Also for me it's a little like my fabric addiction lol

You are right But I have the one I use all the time, one set up with the quilting frame, my serger, the embroidery machine, and the one I found at a sale(one of the first computerized machines made), my grandmas Singer, the one I found in the cellar all mud turned out to be qute a find, and an old White someone gave me. I have found out I like older machines quite alot.Even if I don't use them all.Oh and I have the one we bought the kids to learn on a cheap Brother, that I love to quilt on.

Quote Originally Posted by matraina
    In reading the comments in this section, I wonder why so many people have several sewing machines. It must take up so much room. Just wondering.
    We're just 'sewing machine nuts'. Not me, personally, I only have four and one long arm.

Blog Entries
    back up, and it seams some machines do certain things better than others, so we tend to get a machine that does what we like to do best. Like a serger does finish seams for clothing best, and fast so we have a serger, well I do. some machines do stright stitch really well so have to have one of them, some do free motion great, you get the picture LOL

only have 4 and a serger right now but hoping to get a FW and another 7570 Pfaff, would trade all 3 of my W&G for a FW

Blog Entries
    I have an embroidery machine that I just use for embroidery and it's decorative stitches, a machine I piece and quilt on, an older back up machine and an old Singer that was my Grama's.
    I am looking for a treadle and FW, I plan on using them too :D:D:D

That's what closets, attics and basements are for.

I only have 2 machines because I do not have room for any more. In my sewing room nor in my closets. I have one set up
    for piecing. And one set up for machine embroidery. I can work on a couple different projects this way. Depending what I feel like doing, piecing or embroidering. My Bernina is so heavy it was becoming a chore to change it over and adding the module. Simpler to set up two machines. They use different needles, bobbins and bobbin thread. This way it is less
    confusing changing everything over. Really saves a lot of time as well. My muscles just aren't what they used to be. LOL

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    No way!! Not mine. :D

Thanks, everyone. Very interesting.

Most of mine were found at yard sales or Craigslist and just good of a deal to pass up. My sale finds are much better machines then the ones I have purchased at full price.

In my case I had only the one bernina 830 for say twenty some years. What a machine! I never had any trouble with it. I had just spent $125.00 having it serviced. Then I started messing with the tension. I guess I just had it with trying and bought a janome after someone advised me it was a great machine. It is a little work horse and a lovely machine. But, once you have had a bernina, you can't go back to anything else. So Hubby bought me a used bernina 180 with an embroidery module. It is really a great machine for someone who is learning about computerized machines. It has a touch screen with a help options. But then my next door neighbor died and her daughter offered to sell me her new bernina 330 with the module and the bsr built in. Well, I couldn't pass it up.

When my mom died and I inheirited her old singer. I can't bear to part with it. It is an old rounded top wooden case portable. It works like a top and has every attachment imaginable.

That my dear is how you end up with so many machines.

I would sell the janome, but I am not sure how. It has such a small amount of running time on it that it is like new. It is on my quilting table now. But, I am thinking of putting the bernina 180 on there instead.

And guess what, I got the oldest bernina out and went completely though it cleaning and oiling it. Tweeked the tension and it is like my old buddy again, works perfectly.

I have three ... Mary, my Singer featherweight was born in the mid 1940s and is wonderful for traveling to classes. I have had my old Singer machine for nearly 30 years and Goldie is a work horse. I use Goldie strictly for quilting. My "new" Singer machine has been running for 10 years now and used about 90% of all my sewing time. She is getting very tired.

I dream of owning a new computerized wonder machine like Bernina or Pffaf but I would rather spend $2000 (up to $6000) on fabric and classes and books. All I need is a needle rolling down to pick up the bobbin thread and pull it through to make a stitch.

I only have 3 sewing machines and 1 serger. I need some more, like a lovely little feather weight.

Blog Entries
    I would love to have an army of sewing machines! As it is I have one old Singer Redeye (got it free-it may not even work-and it's more of a decoration), my old Janome MC3500 which dh thought I should sell or trade when I got my new machine, but I'm glad I didn't, a Janome Sew Mini that I use for paper crafting, and Janome 6600 which is my new machine, and a serger that doesn't work.

It does sound like I have a lot after all. :shock:

Blog Entries

i have 2, one in a sewing table and one for travel in the camper or classes. i had 3, it was on a gracie pro frame. i dropped it and it was totaled.
    :(
    if i had the room, i would try to find a feather weight.!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    lol!

I look at the machines for different purposes. One is the workhorse, one is the backup, and one is on the frame. (Oh - and one will be for sale.)

I have two old singers that were given to me, one is a featherweight. I'm using them as backups now because I have a new Brother SQ9000 that I bought and it does quite well. I would some day love to have a Bernina and a serger.

I have a Featherweight, a Janome, a serger, a very old Design A Quilt guilting machine and a commercial machine set up for binding and also a Brother I keep set up for embroidery only.

I have a Viking SE embroidery machine, Brother 4000D embroidery machine that I have listed to sell, Pfaff 7570 that I use for piecing, 3 Featherweights, 2 301's, an old Necchi, Singer 99K, Singer 185K and a Pfaff serger. Hope I didn't forget any. And I am thinking I need a Treadle.

Blog Entries
    I have a Featherweight because it was given to me. I have a Singer 301 because it was given to me. I have a Brother 1500 quilting machine because I won it. I have a Singer Quantum because I bought it before I started quilting. I have two Janome Gems because I bought one to take to workshops/classes and one My DD bought and used one time, brought it to my house and it's been here ever since. I keep one of the Gems in the trunk of my car with tote packed ready for sewdays. I have a Singer 15-90 in mint condition in cabinet I bought from a going out of business sale at a dept store that had their own alterations dept. It's fantastic for paper piecing and fmq embodiering. I have bought many machines at thrift stores and yard sales cheap that I donate to 4H and Girl Scout troops.

I was wondering if something was wrong with me, I only have one machine.

I still have the 1st machine I ever had & got in 1979 used. Several years ago I bought my Pfaff 2044, which I love but eventually realized that I needed a bigger bed space so I could do my own quilting. So I got my Janome 1600 mainly for that. I love them all! I will probably get something smaller & more portable when my husband retires & we travel more.

I break them. I must have a dozen upstairs in my other house. Just broke a brother down here (SC) and ordered a singer. Thinking about a serger but I have no clue how to use one or if I "need" one.

I have to admit that I love old machines. I love the colors they came in and that they were made of metal! I buy them at garage sales, goodwill etc. It's also funny how the old ones seem to run better than my fancy computerized machine! I have a Viking, a Huskylock serger, Singer 15-91, Singer TouchTronic, Singer Stylist and an old Kenmore!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast