Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machines >

Sewing Machines

Sewing Machines

Old 11-01-2010, 05:20 AM

Thanks. All your stories were very interesting to read.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:19 PM

I am addicted to sewing machines...my first one was a Kenmore (made by Janome) and I did everything on it for years...still have it..after many years of doing without, I decided to get a Serger...then I started sewing more seriously making drapes and Romans and I inherited a Singer Industrial Centenniel edition...a great opportunity came by to buy an almost brand new Indudstral Juki soon after and of course I bought that...a few months after that I fell in love with the Janome 6600...and bought it...I also got an old Singer of my mom's and then I decided I needed a portable for the cottage...along the way I bought a great little Blindstitch machine on ebay, worth every penny for sewing my drapery hems...and of course, my collection wasn't complete without a featherweight..I have been eyeing them on Ebay for ages but have always been worried about the customs fees, etc...this past summer, within a month of each other I came across 2 of the most beautiful FW's, one being a century edition...this month I sold the old Singer and the portable, and that paid for my FWs...so I don't feel bad...now I am thinking about getting the Janome Horizon...
Old 11-01-2010, 03:48 PM

Oh my gosh, where do you keep them?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by matraina
In reading the comments in this section, I wonder why so many people have several sewing machines. It must take up so much room. Just wondering.
I have my first Viking bought in 1983 after sewing bridesmaid dresses for 3 weddings. A 545 huskyvarna serger bought in 1987 (2 weddings that year) and still own both. But in 2001 I bought a 7570 Plaff emboidery machine which I mainly use now. I have my little Viking as a backup and additional machine for teaching beginner sewers/quilters. Then a year ago, I purchased another 545 serger as a backup.

I've been sewing since I was 7 years old in 4-H. Have made all my clothes through the years, my childrens clothes and now my grandbabies clothes (7 of them). I can't afford "not" to have backups now. They brake down in the most needed times and usual right around christmas.

My dream sewing machine is a Viking Designer 1 and a Long Machine and yes I will still keep the others. Hope to pass them on to my granddaughters.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:59 PM

Sewing Machines,mmmmmm, er Ah They follow me home. DH got to where he didn't even notice then he went to helping me carry them in and repairing,building cabinets etc and yes he works every day at work.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by matraina
Oh my gosh, where do you keep them?
I have a sewing room...and they are all over the place...overflowing...but I NEED them....???
Old 11-02-2010, 03:08 PM

Let me tell you about my machines and why i have them. My oldest is a 1949 Kenmore. It was my mothers machine. It will sew anything that these new ones won't. Mom used to repair my fathers shoes with it. I don't use it often but i have sewn tarps with it. My second machine is a 1955 Singer in a cabinet it was my grandmothers the only thing it does is straight stitch. If I am doing something that needs top stitching it comes in handy. I never have to change threads, it is always ready to go. My third machine was given to me by a friend it is a Singer,
Fashion Mate, It has cams that fit in the top. No case just a bottom case that it sets in. When she gave it to me it didn't work. I worked on it and took it apart, for about an hour and now it runs smoothly. I don't use it much may get rid of it some day. I have a singer embrodiery machine. And i just bought a Viking Sapphire I use it most of the time. But i really do say the singer that belonged to my grandmother is the easiest to piece quilts with. The foot is just the right size. The last sewing machine i have is don't know the make but it is an industrial machine that my father used in the tack shop at the race track. When he stopped he gave it to me. Don't know if I will ever use it.
I also have a serger that I almost never use.
We also have my daughters Janome here too.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:50 PM

Brenda5,
Which Sapphire do you have? I have the 875, love that machine!!
Old 11-03-2010, 03:01 AM

I bought the next step down. Two weeks after I got it home my husband asked me why didn't i buy the 875 when i was telling the girls there was a next step up from the one i bought. But there isn't that much difference between them.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by brenda 5
I bought the next step down. Two weeks after I got it home my husband asked me why didn't i buy the 875 when i was telling the girls there was a next step up from the one i bought. But there isn't that much difference between them.
I used to work for Husqvarna Viking. I fell in love with the
Sapphire line, I had the 870 for about 6 months and it died
from a severe manufactoring defect; the frame was warped and the bobbin case area wouldn't seat properly as a result.
I was quilting and it made a horrible clunk and just quit. I had to finish my quilting with my 35 year old Pfaff.
It wasn't repairable so the company sent me a new 870, then I traded up to the 875.
If it wasn't for my employee discount, I couldn't have afforded a new machine.
Sharon
So you bought the 855?