Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machines >

Sewing Machines

Sewing Machines

Old 10-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

I have a Featherweight because it was given to me. I have a Singer 301 because it was given to me. I have a Brother 1500 quilting machine because I won it. I have a Singer Quantum because I bought it before I started quilting. I have two Janome Gems because I bought one to take to workshops/classes and one My DD bought and used one time, brought it to my house and it's been here ever since. I keep one of the Gems in the trunk of my car with tote packed ready for sewdays. I have a Singer 15-90 in mint condition in cabinet I bought from a going out of business sale at a dept store that had their own alterations dept. It's fantastic for paper piecing and fmq embodiering. I have bought many machines at thrift stores and yard sales cheap that I donate to 4H and Girl Scout troops.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:58 AM

I was wondering if something was wrong with me, I only have one machine.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:03 PM

I still have the 1st machine I ever had & got in 1979 used. Several years ago I bought my Pfaff 2044, which I love but eventually realized that I needed a bigger bed space so I could do my own quilting. So I got my Janome 1600 mainly for that. I love them all! I will probably get something smaller & more portable when my husband retires & we travel more.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:23 PM

I break them. I must have a dozen upstairs in my other house. Just broke a brother down here (SC) and ordered a singer. Thinking about a serger but I have no clue how to use one or if I "need" one.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:24 PM

I have to admit that I love old machines. I love the colors they came in and that they were made of metal! I buy them at garage sales, goodwill etc. It's also funny how the old ones seem to run better than my fancy computerized machine! I have a Viking, a Huskylock serger, Singer 15-91, Singer TouchTronic, Singer Stylist and an old Kenmore!
Old 10-30-2010, 12:26 PM

My collection started this summer when I read a quilter's blog about free motion quilting on a treadle. Well, that sparked my interest and I started looking on CL for cheap treadles. A week later, I purchased two vintage machines on the same day. One was Singer 66 treadle and the other was Singer 15-91. The 15-91 had a broken male plug, and my husband said to look for another cheap machine on CL instead of paying $25 for the part from some internet shop (smart man). That led me to finding my 15-90. I then read about how wonderful it is to sew on 201-2 . While looking for attachment parts for my 66-1, I came across a 201-3. Shortly after that, I picked up a free treadle which my 201 went into. I then read that many quilters prefer free motion quilting with the 15-90 treadle. So, I took the 66-1 out of its treadle and put the 15-90 into the treadle. Now, I have one treadle (201) set up for piecing and the other treadle (15-90) set up for free motion quilting. I now love to use the treadles. I own a couple of others that found their way to me out of my fascination for vintage machines ( they are on display on my bookshelves in my sewing room). And my daughter's Christmas gift this year is the Singer 15-91.

I have sold a couple of machines that I picked up cheaply and cleaned. This has covered the cost of all my machines. So, now all my machines are paid for and free.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:02 PM

I have a sewing/embroidery machine that is my primary machine, plus another sewing machine to use while my main machine is set up for embroidery, plus an extended throat machine set up on a quilting frame. Mine all have a purpose.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:21 PM

I have 2 sewing machines and a serger. I use them all. It is handy when i am working on a project that needs two different colors of thread. I thread each machine and just switch back and forth. Each one does something different that the other so there is a reason to have each one.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:07 PM

I have a 24 year old Bernina 910 that I dearly love, it has never ever given me a problem. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the new machines have, but I will never get rid of it. It is very heavy (all metal) and it is in a cabinet, so taking it to a class was hard. I started looking for a featherweight a couple of years ago, and my SIL heard me talking about it, and said "that sounds like my machine, but it is sooo old, I'm sure you wouldn't want it". Well that is exactly what it was, and she hadn't had it out of her basement in years, don't think she ever used it. She was so happy to give it to me....Yay!!! I love it!! Sometimes, I dream about getting a new machine, but I wouldn't get rid of either of these and I don't have room to use another one so, I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by matraina
In reading the comments in this section, I wonder why so many people have several sewing machines. It must take up so much room. Just wondering.
****That's what closets, attics and basements are for.***
I love your answer!!!!! Don't forget garages (at least until you can find somewhere to hide :oops: I mean find a place to put it in the house.