Old 11-01-2010, 02:03 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

I ALWAYS require a 50% of agreed on price for a deposit before i will cut a single fabric for a quilt someone has (commissioned) learned that a long time ago...having an artist for a mother. back in the '70's she was (taken advantage of-ripped off) on a couple paintings and after that she always collected the deposit, regardless of who it is, best friend, daughter or perfect stranger makes no difference. now when someone discusses having me make them a quilt we figure out the quilt, i generally set a price and let the person know i have to have 50% before i start the quilt. we have found if a person pays a deposit (and i tell them it is NON-REFUNDABLE) they generally buy the quilt. I had one woman who forfited her deposit and did not get her quilt. not because she didn't like it, but because she had other things going on and after it was completed and being long-arm quilted she called up and said..."never mind- i don't want it after all" i was pretty upset (it's a king with over $500 just in materials) i called her and said, you know we have a contract, and you paid a $250 deposit...she said, i don't care, we painted the bedroom and it wont work anymore; and she hung up...so i finished the quilt, took pictures, made out a bill, including full quilt price, deposit. and a (disclaimer) at the end stating if the final bill was not paid in full within 30 days she gives up any and all future claims to the quilt and forfeits her deposit. sent the bill (signature required) and kept copies of everything...these steps taken to protect me; now she can not try in a couple years to get that deposit back and it does not matter what i sell that quilt for, she gave up all rights.