View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Candace

Originally Posted by sue38
I was about to embarq on a new method of backing my quilts using bedsheets. I read the following which has changed my mind altogether. I know that many of the quilter here use bedsheets but were they aware of the following or is it all hooey? Sheets have a high thread count, which forces your quilting needle to break the sheet's threads as it pierces through. This leaves holes in your backing and diminishes the stability of your sheet. Quilting fabric has a looser weave, which allows your needle to easily slide between the threads and keeps your backing fabric intact. Actually, it makes a lot of sense to me! What do you think?
Load of bull if you ask me! Anyone who tells you, you can't use sheets is selling fabric

;) That's all sheets are...fabric. Some better quality than others and since a good portion of quilters quilt by machine thread count doesn't matter like it used to. Hand quilters need to think about getting a needle through it. I've never used a sheet but certainly will. Ikea has some awesome 100 percent, wonderful quality sheets!