Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using bedsheets to back your quilts? >

Using bedsheets to back your quilts?

Using bedsheets to back your quilts?

Old 11-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

I have used sheets for backing years ago, when sheets were regular 100% cotton and percale, sheets now are mostlly eygption cotton and feels silky. If I needed to I would sure use them again, sheets last for years and years.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:00 PM

I've been using bed sheets for over 35 years......high thread count and have never had any issues with any quilt made. Actually I am sitting on one now that I made in 1980 and it still looks as good as new.....
Old 11-04-2010, 06:19 PM

hmm i might have to try the sheets it sure would be cheaper
Old 11-04-2010, 06:32 PM

I just used a sheet to back a quilt. It was 200 thread count, much like Kona muslin. It worked great and saved me some $$$. I paid $4 for it, whereas the fabric I was looking at to back it was going to cost over $15.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:06 PM

You've quoted from Connecting Threads.. I really love Connecting Threads and buy most all of my thread from them and other things as well.. but I think they are like most 'quilting' establishments.. they want to sell you fabric to back your quilt.. and they should, that's their business and their livelyhood, they would be poor business people if they didn't do what they could to sell their product!

I agree that high count sheets might be a problem, in theory anyway.. but the looser (cheaper) ones are not a problem.... I've used them and never had holes or any other problem..

That said, I once backed a quilt with Batik, which is very tightly woven, and still have no problem.. So I'm not convenienced that it matters a lot what you use.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:10 PM

You've quoted from Connecting Threads.. I really love Connecting Threads and buy most all of my thread from them and other things as well.. but I think they are like most 'quilting' establishments.. they want to sell you fabric to back your quilt.. and they should, that's their business and their livelyhood, they would be poor business people if they didn't do what they could to sell their product!

I agree that high count sheets might be a problem, in theory anyway.. but the looser (cheaper) ones are not a problem.... I've used them and never had holes or any other problem..

That said, I once backed a quilt with Batik, which is very tightly woven, and still have no problem.. So I'm not convenienced that it matters a lot what you use.