Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using bedsheets to back your quilts? >

Using bedsheets to back your quilts?

Using bedsheets to back your quilts?

Old 11-04-2010, 05:15 AM

Bedsheets work great for me and it sure cuts down on the cost of alot of fabric for the backing. But i do use a nice quality one so it is soft and feels nice.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:07 AM

The quilt police will get us --people at the quilt shows will be horrified, but I have backed and pieced for years with sheets. The only problem is that 100% cotton 180 count percale sheets (from WalMart) are a thing of the past -- now it's 200 count sheets with polyester (I need to check again)-- so be careful. My quilts have washed beautifully; the only things that have worn out are the handstitching connecting my patchwork blocks on the backside.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:22 PM

My vote is it's hooey. If you want to use sheets and you hand quilt, use sheets with a lower thread count. If you are concerned about the needle cutting threads, use a smaller, sharper needle and/or a lower thread count sheet.
I personally use sheets all the time; both for backings and for piecing. The fabric as a rule, is very sturdy and long lasting. By checking the label, you can be assured of getting 100% cotton. I also use bed ruffles, curtains, pillow shams, etc. You can find high quality if you are selective and get yards of fabric at rediculously low prices. Nothing beats a little used bed ruffle for kaleidascope fabric with lots and lots of repeats, especially a king or queen.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:40 PM

As a longarm machine quilter I have several customers whom like to use sheets for their backings. They usually purchase the thinnest (cheapest) ones they can find or use used sheets that have been washed repeatedly. I have never had a problem with the sheets and my customers seem happy with them.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:11 PM

To begin with, the minute you start to sew on fabric, you are breaking the threads lol...now using a sheet as backing, you can do even tho it is a tighter weave that your quilting fabric. I wouldn't use a sheet but it's all preference.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:33 PM

Wow. I use to make clothes expecially Easter dresses and shirts for the boys out of sheets because they were so much cheaper than material years ago and apparently they still are. The clothes wore wonderfully and better than the store bought clothes the kids would receive for gifts...so I will stick with using sheets whenever I can.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:38 PM

i use 200 count sheets from wal mart and i haven't had any trouble with them,,i have 1 quilt that our dog lays on and i have washed it probably 100 times and it is still together,,there is no need to worry
Old 11-04-2010, 03:13 PM

For economical reasons I always use sheets for backing and have never had any problems. I've even used strips cut from sheets when I am making scrappy string quilts.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:48 PM

I hand quilt and have used sheets lots of times. I don't get the cheapest ones or the most expensive. I have never had any problems.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:53 PM

My mother hand quilted for years, and quite beautifully. She did the most dainty and even stitches. She used sheets for backing on many of her quilts, they are still in just as good a shape as they were when she did them. My mother-in-law has also used many sheets for backing and hers are still good, too. I would never hesitate to use them. If they could hand quilt through them, I can machine quilt (and I have hand quilted with them, just not as good as the 2 mothers in my life) with them.