Old 11-05-2010, 07:51 AM
ArtisticDesign

Originally Posted by Battle Axe
Another thought is that by law the customer has three days to change their mind. So I would wait those three business days before I bought thread or fabric. Another hard lesson.
Hmm, now that's something I hadn't thought about..This is a very good thread.
I've learned a lot of this the hard way... I do Custom Faux/murals and learned some of this early on... I agree that like faux, most non quilters have no idea of the work involved.. I make sure in my contract to try to educate them by typing out the steps involved from research/travel and design to the durability and care of the final finish as well as the estimated hrs to completion...Same would work for quilting..
I always ask for 50% non-refundable up front for design and materials..I also offer a 3 part installment for those that like the lay-away type plan..
Another thing that has worked for me is offering options to lower cost ( some people would love a quilt/faux but truly can't afford everything they'd want)..So I'd have samples and let them feel the difference between the expensive buttersoft fabric and muslin ect... Let them decide what's more important. The look,the feel, the size, Hand quilting vrs machine etc = Bread and butter quilts lol..People love pictures..
Some want an estimate right then and there... I wouldn't do this if it can at all be avoided.. You need to go home and figure out your cost/hrs involved etc. So that neither party loses out..
I think if I ever become experienced enough to make the kind of gorgoeus stuff I've seen from some of you on this board..And find anyone wanting to buy them.. I'd definitely use the same business practices that have been mentioned in this thread.. #1 > Always get $ up front for at least materials! lol