View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 PM
stevendebbie25

That's a delema, I don't like seeing mom/pop shops close, but also know local quilters, older who are on fixed income, younger with kids and budget income, who can't afford the high end prices of quilt shops and count on Walmart for fabric. Considering all ends of quilters, Walmart does hold a useful place for some.
Our old WM closed, rebuilt 2 super WMs now, and one has and one don't have fabric. In the few larger towns in our state that have a WM, of 8 only 2 have fabric and are 200 miles apart.
JoAnns has nice sales all the time, and coupons if your not in a hurry to buy some each months coupon.
But I agree, even though now I can afford the quilt shops (kids grown and not retired yet), I like having a choice, and still buy 'good' fabric I can feel at Walmart, especially for children quilts, donation quilts, craft projects. I save the high price quilt shops for my fancy quilts & large sizes I know won't need washed often. Children 'outgrow' their quilts, wear them out, why invest big money there.