View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Elizabeth A.

Uh, there's a new notice at the top... Good thing I want to talk about quilting! :D

Now I'd like to thank all of you ladies. Everytime there was a need to cut a large amount of fabric, there were all of you traditionalists. I said iron it and stack it gently and cut through many layers and once... But no each time you were all there "it's okay to rip it" "If you're worried check it on a test piece." "Don't worry it will rip just fine." Each time I listened, but with the cost of fabric, I always shied away...

Then came my bolt. The bolt of natural muslin I bought a while back. Yep. I needed some and I didn't want to get down on the floor and get the mat out. So I took that puppy and RIPPPPED it. Can I just say wow? More even and straight than I could have cut it, barely a wiggle and certainly less than 1/8"! Just a little snip and RIP! I did find that I needed to be careful when I was ready to rip the other grain and even though I cut it in the right direction to only "rip" a little to be sure the tear was going the right direction.

So I thank you. My fabric thanks you, my mat and cutter thank you. There is a time and a place for everything and your gentle patience with the old ways have served me well, and I'm certain will continue to do so as I work through this bolt. Have a cocktail you've earned it, always being there, never swaying from the old ways. Amen to you!