Old 09-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Barb M

You know, i love you guys all so much, you are the best most encouraging friends. Thank you all so much :) Anyways, this is what my quilt is all about. I decided just over a year ago, on my 50th birthday, that i am doing better since i am on the memantine, and there are some things that i decided i wanted to do in the next couple years that were important to me, before my hd gets worse again. Three weeks ago my symptoms got bit worse again, until i figured out what i was doing dif that was maybe causing it, and got rid of the culprit, and am myself again. But, for a couple weeks i could hardly get out of bed, and was just staring in space and didnt want to do anything, thats part of the hd, just not being too aware and involved with whats going on around you. Anyways, i fixed what was causing it, and realized, wow, if it's this easy for my symptoms to get worse again, it made me realize that i have to do the things i wanted to do while i'm feeling good. Soo, this quilt was one of those things, and that is why i suddenly decided to try and do it in a hurry. I have my annual neuro appt tomorrow, and we're getting up early to take the train into vancouver, and i'm really looking forward to this, cus i think im doing really good compared to four years ago, so im really excited and looking forward to a nice day. Anyways, one of my goals was to make a gift for the hd clinic, a wall hanging quilt for the patient waiting room, that is respresentive of hd, gives hope, and gives thanks to those that take care of us with hd. So i wanted to try and get it done for my appt tomorrow, but today i decided that if i push myself today to finish it, it wont come out as nice as i want it to, and i will be too stressed out for my doctors visit, so what i've decided to do instead is just slow down on it a little bit, and give it to them in january. Also, my other part of my goal that i want to do is this, and this i will do in january too. I want to make a queensize version of this wallhanging too. The centre of the quilt will be just like the wallhanging, and then i will add borders and stuff to make it queensize, and i want this to go to the hd clinic too, but not as a gift, but as a raffle quilt, to raise money for research, and i want to do one raffle quilt each year, for each year that i am still doing well enough with hd to do this. So i have a really great idea here, and it's also to let hd patients see, visually, that they are not alone, and i want it to give others a feeling of hope. The other thing i would maybe like to do, but im not sure yet, is to make some lap quilts for the hd clinics, that are especially for hd patients, that will be given to them for free. Because i know, there is nothing i like more than cuddling in a quilt. I would like the lap quilts to come inside a tote bag too, and both the lap quilts, and the tote bags, will have my rose without a stem on the front, so they can use these bags for shopping, and when people see the tote bag, and say thats nice, they can, if they want, explain what the symbol means, and that would bring hd awareness too.

Do you all know what is really really cool??? Henry told me months ago that he was going to make me a quilt, just cus he wanted to. Sooo, when he started making his Hope Among the Darkness quilt, do any of you have any idea how much i started hoping that was my quilt? Nobody knows how much depression ive had over the years off and on, and then when i first got hd i got it real bad then too, but im good now, real good. But i know what darkness is like, and when i saw him lay out those quilt squares, and i saw those crosses with the stripes, i wanted it sooo bad, to cuddle on a dark night, and those beautiful beautiful flowers in among all that black darkness. So i started pestering Henry lol, had to get the secret out of him, i let him know how much i wanted that lol. And guess what, it was the quilt he was making for me...tears. And guess what, he sent it off in the mail to me this morning. I am soooo looking forward to getting it, i am soooo excited :)