View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

One of my best Christmas gifts came from my now ex, of all things. I had seen an antique quilt in a little shop hours and hours from home on a weekend trip with the family in the summer. Wanted it badly, but as this was the first shop we went into, I felt it would be expedient to shop a few more places and then go back to it on the way out of town. Of course, we went home a different route and I left the quilt behind.

Near Christmas my ex "had to go out of town", as he often did for work; but though I thought he was in Oklahome, he sneakily went back to this little town in Arkansas and hunted down the quilt. The lady was sure it had been sold months before, but he was insistent it would be there. And it was, in the last pile they sorted through.

A couple days before Christmas came; a strange very long, skinny box appeared leaning against the wall half under the tree. I shook it, I poked it, I rattled it, I guessed and guessed, but could not figure it out.

When I opened it, I was so surprised and a bit overwhelmed...it was so unlike him to do such a thing, so thought out and full of effort! It was a precious gift to me and it lives on my bed in the spring even now.

Memories like this make me wonder why I am single. But we make much better friends than spouses and are both quite happy with our places in this life.

Merry holidays, all!

Jan in VA