Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the best gift you ever got? >

What is the best gift you ever got?

What is the best gift you ever got?

Old 11-18-2010, 08:06 AM

Christmas 2000, the kids were all home with the grandkids and my parents. We had trashed the living room with all the wrapping paper and the little ones were playing with the boxes and ribbon, when my DH said "Santa must have dropped this present when he came down the chimney." In the fireplace was a Walmart bag......He pulled out the first package and gave it to me. Inside was a baby food jar full of sand. The second package was a babyfood jar of blue water. The third package was a yellow Nerf ball the he had made rays like a sun from construction paper and sunglasses. I said that looks like a beach...the fourth package was the plane tickets to Puerto Vilarta, Mexico. He had also made arrangements with my boss for the time off work and my mom to come and stay with the kids. All I had to do is pack my suitcase. I was the first vacation we had since our honeymoon 16 years before. It was wonderful!
Old 11-18-2010, 08:17 AM

A ruby ring. We used to cash my husband's paychecks at a pawn store because it was the cheapest way to cash it and we didn't have a bank account back then. The pawn store would let you buy things on payments if you were a good customer. I had my eye on a gorgeous, large ruby ring and in the weeks just before Christmas it disappeared out of the jewelry case.

Come Christmas morning I opened a large box that had another box that had another box that had a small box. My ruby ring!! My husband had literally bought that ring behind my back!! He said he was standing behind me and just nodded at the clerk that he wanted it.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:05 AM

Wasn't for Christmas, but best gift I ever received was an educational trust fund from my maternal grandmother. All my
college (and grad school) expenses will be covered, I just send bills to her lawyer.

And she did the same for all my siblings.

She graduated from college in the 30's and taught English and phys ed for years. Played 18 holes of golf 3 times a week until she was 85. Then had a stroke - passed away at 94.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:16 AM

Had to think long and hard but I think it was the Christmas my 9 yr old sister was in the hospital and since my other sister and I weren't old enough to go into see her...my father snuck us up the fire stairs to spend a few minutes with her. They said she would have less then 6 months to live. We brought her so many presents from us and local churches that she wasn't strong enough to open them all. So we gladly helped her as the nurses turned their heads the other way for an hour. Hey a happy ending! She still has this blood disease at age 54 & none of the docs can answer why shes still with us, but shes shocked them all. Shes also a hemaphiliac (bleeder) and they told her to never have children or she would bleed to death. She has 2 great girls! We are all truely blessed!
Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

Other then births, cures, visits, etc. the best gift I ever received is an oil painting from my DD that makes me smile every time I look at it.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by SuziC
My Very Best Gift was about 9 years ago. My son and his new wife moved to Tampa and it was very hard on me. He is my oldest and was always a "homebody" It was a complete surprise to the family that they were moving. That Christmas i was so down from having one of my boys gone it didn't want to have Chrisstmas at my house. My son's best friend stopped over three days before Christmas. He had my present that was sent from Florida. I went outside to his truck and there was a box in the bed of the truck. He looks at me and says Anthony sent this for you.......he lifts the top of the box and THERE HE WAS!!! My boy came home for Christmas!!!!!!
What a wonderful son! And a special friend, too.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by vanessa
My best Christmas gift and the one I am most thankful for is my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! I love him so very much! My next best gift is my two beautiful daughters that he gave to me and trusted me to raise and take care of for him. I love them so very much too!

Vanessa :)
I have to say that is the best gift I have recieved, also! I have three children and four grandbabies that are all healthy!