View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 07:30 PM
JUNEC

Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
Originally Posted by homecaregiver
Oh boy is there a "momma" out there in quilt land that would like to adopt me. I want to learn to machine quilt. No Long arm but on my home sewing machine. I have a Bernina 830.

Pat (homecaregiver)
If you have the same machine, this would be a nice fit...if you also machine quilt to answer her questions. Or if you feel your experienced enough on machine quilting to help her.
Here is a link, I loved these items as I was learning, even took a class where they used these panels and book to teach us.
http://www.ericas.com/quilting/tools/skillbuilder.htm
I bought the DVD and there are additional patterns you can print off and stitch on the paper to learn, or trace onto fabric (layer so you get used to the batting & how it will move, just a sample size to work / learn from). Then practice first. Then I made a really simple plain blocks in a design quilt, and I'll probably give this to the dog, as I used it to 'learn' on, to practice all types of designs before I attemped a nicer quilt. Then I made a couple baby doll blankets for my GD, and practiced how I'd like to make a full quilt look with this simple dresdon plate design, and I also tested quilt marking systems to see what I liked best.
I hope this helps.
I'm not going to "adopt" as I feel I'm a beginner myself to machine quilting. Just sharing how I'm learning too.
Thank you for the above sight and all the valuable information