View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 06:12 AM
stevendebbie25

Originally Posted by homecaregiver
Hi and Good Morning,

Just read your post and just wanted to say that I love english paper piecing. It is a great portable way to take along with you to drs. waiting area, while traveling and a great way to use up some scraps. I have made several tops with this technique.

I like you have more unfinished tops than quilted ones but I am working to correct that. I too am a sponge and I want to absorb everything I can and try every thing there is learn. But I know I will not be able to do everything I want in my lifetime unless I live a very very long time.

My quilting time has been stifled due the health of my husband but I still try to work on one of my passions.

Enjoyed reading your post.
Have a great wonderful day. I plan to.

Pat homecaregiver
where do you get your Eng. PP templates/papers?
Have you ever tried to take it on an airplane? I saw a DVD where they shown putting a kit together for air travel, and said those rounded toddler scissors will be accepted. I was then wondering about the needle?

I do not like cutting out all those hexigons from printable sources, and I know you can buy them pre-cut in asst. sizes...don't know where? Do you finger press or craft iron around your edges? Do you sew them together into a row before removing inside papers? Ok, this is one place I have questions, after you sew all those small pieces together, do you applique or attach a backing? Or just lay over the batting and begin to quilt? How would you "quilt" the layers? Pattern? Stitch in ditch? Any other tips you could share about English Paper Piecing? (I spell out for newbies to learn also, many don't know the acranyms for quilting, it's a learning process too).

Ladies, this is what I think most of us would like from anyone wanting to learn anything..newbie or intermediate trying something new. Ask specific questions, details, so we know where your stuck, what you want. You can PM any of us, and if we can't answer, we'll ask the others or find it.
I'd also strongly encourage you to take a local basic beginner class. My only personal complaint, each class I took, the instructor talked over my head as if I should know all this already, and these where supposed to be "your first steps" . NEVER be afraid to ask, probably others in class are just as puzzled. And I actually have learned more from the lady next to me (in intermediate classes just learning new techniqes) then the teacher who's on a schedule to 'finish'. I've taken 4 ways now of making log cabin, two are my favorite now.

Oh, and I AM asking on the Eng.PP, hope you can help.