View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 05:08 PM
QuiltswithConvicts

Part 2 - FAQs:

Do I need to pre-wash Warm & Natural before I use it?
You don't need to pre-wash Warm & Natural before using it. However, the batting will shrink approximately 3% the first time it is washed. You will need to pre-wash Warm & Natural if you wish to pre-shrink it. Otherwise your quilt will have a slight "pucker" look that nicely shows off your quilting once it is washed. For more information about care instructions see Warm & Natural page.

Can I pre-wash Warm & Natural in my washing machine?
Some people have successfully pre-washed Warm & Natural in their washing machine. However, since the natural cotton fibers have not been chemically treated, we do not recommend machine-washing Warm & Natural before it is quilted. The fibers may cling to each other and pull the batting apart during the spin cycle. Once quilted the fibers are protected by your fabric and you can confidently machine wash your quilts and wearables.

Will the cotton seeds in the batt stain my quilt?
Our manufacturing process includes a special cleaning to prevent oil stains from appearing on your quilt. Seed, stem and leaf remnants are mechanically "picked" out of the cotton fiber. The tiny plant particles that give Warm & Natural its character for soft sculpture dolls are quilt friendly.

Is there a top and bottom side to Warm & Natural?
Yes. The side with "flecks" (plant and leaf particles) is the top side. The whiter side is the bottom side. If you iron a quilt or wearable made with Warm & Natural, press with the top side toward the iron and make sure your iron is on a low setting. If you make a white quilt consider quilting with Warm & Natural bottom side up.