Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Soy or bamboo batting >

Soy or bamboo batting

Soy or bamboo batting

Old 11-23-2010, 11:58 PM

Recently, I used Fusi-Boo fusible batting for some small quilts and table runners. First time using a fusible batting for me, so I can't compare it to others fusible battings. I found it easy to work with. I did have to repress from time to time since it pulled away from the fabric (don't know if that was due to my starching the material for piecing). I was able to pick this up at JoAnn's during a sale for 40% off. I would not use this fusible batting for any large projects because of having to repress. I did like the feel and had no problems machine quilting on my vintage Singers.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:36 AM

Avoid bamboo like the plague. Perhaps I used a cheap one but the bearding was really serious and I'm going to have to vacuum the quilt to try and get it clean!
Old 04-02-2011, 11:43 AM

I know we started this thread a while back, but I have read up on the process for making bamboo into batting or yarn and it requires nasty chemicals and unfortunately I don't think it is anywhere as eco-friendly and organic cotton....I do want to try the batting made from recycled plastic bottles however.... Bummer about the bamboo....anyone have any other ideas?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:43 AM

I know we started this thread a while back, but I have read up on the process for making bamboo into batting or yarn and it requires nasty chemicals and unfortunately I don't think it is anywhere as eco-friendly and organic cotton....I do want to try the batting made from recycled plastic bottles however.... Bummer about the bamboo....anyone have any other ideas?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:50 AM

Just ordered some soy/cotton so will see what that's like. Unfortunately they all have scrim. The bamboo did feel nice and had a lovely drape but...
Old 04-02-2011, 12:07 PM

I use both Bamboo and Warm n Natural and they are similar to work with. I LOVE the smell of the bamboo. It does stick to batiks and make it hard to sandwich...I used a batik backing once...that was a lot of work.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sew Krazy Girl
Tried bamboo batting and will never use it again. It comes through when pinning or quilting - especially noticeable on dark fabrics. It flies around and gets in your nose and clothes. Yuk! Only advantage is it's very soft. Don't know about warm.
Quite agree. I'm just finishing a quilt for which I used 50/50 cotton/bamboo. The backing is a plain dark brown and is covered in bits of fluff from the batting, and it's coming through onto the front as well. Terrible stuff - will never use it again.