Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Soy or bamboo batting

Blog Entries
    I am in love with the idea of bamboo or soy batting. Has anyone used them? How did they quilt? How did they do as far as warmth? Anything else?
    Ellen

Blog Entries
    This has come up a few time go to the up and click on search and type in bamboo or soy batting. There is alot of infromation on them.

Blog Entries
    It is soooo expensive where I live, it is not an option.

Blog Entries
    Too spendy for me too :(

Blog Entries
    I've never heard of soy batting. Is there anything that can't be made from soy??!! :lol: I can't believe how versatile it is -- so many things can be made from it! I'll be interested in the postings regarding it. :wink:

e4
    Keep in mind that bamboo usually is not the natural bamboo fiber - that would not be soft. Bamboo actually is a highly processed fiber. In fact the Federal Trade Commission now states bamboo should be called "rayon made from bamboo" since it is essentially the same process as rayon made from cotton or other cellulose plant scrap. Thus, bamboo batting is actually rayon batting made from bamboo - thus the softness.

Here is a link
    http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2010/02/bamboo.shtm

Quote Originally Posted by e4
    Keep in mind that bamboo usually is not the natural bamboo fiber - that would not be soft. Bamboo actually is a highly processed fiber. In fact the Federal Trade Commission now states bamboo should be called "rayon made from bamboo" since it is essentially the same process as rayon made from cotton or other cellulose plant scrap. Thus, bamboo batting is actually rayon batting made from bamboo - thus the softness.

Here is a link
    http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2010/02/bamboo.shtm
    Thanks for this information, I know the new thing is bamboo but the price is out there. I always wait for the product to prove itself and wear out the "new" so the price will go down.

Can't use anything SOY... Daughter is highly allergic to it.

Blog Entries
    Bamboo batting involves highly toxic processes so it is not the "environmentally friendly" batting many think it to be. That's one reason why I won't buy it.

Blog Entries
    There was a booth a the sewing and quilt show I went to last weekend that had both bamboo and soy batting. I loved the feel of bamboo, but boy was it pricey. I can't imagine how expensive it would be to do a large quilt with it.

Blog Entries
    A little too new for me. Would like to find out how they hold up over time and in the wash first. My favorite is still Warm and Natural.

it's a bit to rich for my pocket too

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    Bamboo batting involves highly toxic processes so it is not the "environmentally friendly" batting many think it to be. That's one reason why I won't buy it.
    I was on the fence but now it's a must try.

I wonder how well it handles heat. I like Warm 'n Natural but it's not 100% cotton so I still have flings with other materials.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the others here. I don't want to be one of the guinea pigs that use and find out the bad things about it. I've always loved the tried and true ones, but will use new things if I think they are worth the elevated prices.

RST
    Blog Entries
    I used a bamboo batting in a lap quilt recently. It was lovely to work with, the final product, heavily free motion quilted, had a lovely drape, was lightweight, but warm. I really liked it, but will not use it often, mostly because of the cost.

I read recently that the toxic processing has been improved upon to be significantly more green. If the reports of increases in cotton prices are true, it may be that bamboo becomes a strong alternative.

RST

I've used both, bamboo and soy blended 50/50 with cotton. Both are easy to needle while handquilting, they drape lovely and for warmth they seem to be comparable with cotton batting.
    One disadvantage for the brands I used is that both are very fuzzy, so I will not use them again with dark fabrics. The soy batting tends to beard a little.

Blog Entries
    Tried bamboo batting and will never use it again. It comes through when pinning or quilting - especially noticeable on dark fabrics. It flies around and gets in your nose and clothes. Yuk! Only advantage is it's very soft. Don't know about warm.

Blog Entries
    I LOVE THE BAMBOO BATTINGS!!! they are wonderful to work with, around here i can get them for the same prices as the 'dream' batt's; and they are wonderful. needle beautifully, great loft, launder well. no weird smells or any issues. i use it as often as i can.
    and people always seem to go back to...horrible chemical processing...well, guess what people pretty much every fiber goes through some sort of horrible chemical processing if it is manufactured so i wish they would stop picking on the bamboos. it is a sustainable fiber and worth trying. another batting i tried and really like is the 'green-batting' it is made from recycled bottles (oh no more processing) it is just like using fleece as a batting.(and lots of people love fleece but ignore the fact it is made from the exact same processing and materials) the only problem i had with that batting is...it's green...so you don't want to use it in light/white quilt, it may show through. but i say, you should try every batting you come across that you can afford and keep a little 'journal' so you can keep track of the batts you love (and the price) and the ones you hate. we all have our own feelings, likes and dislikes. i am one who's favorites in order are...
    1. WOOL DREAM BATTING
    2. DREAM POLY
    3. DREAM COTTON/ WARM & NATURAL (its a tie)
    4. BAMBOO
    5. DREAM GREEN- GREEN BATT
    HOBBS HEIRLOOM BLACK

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just received a package of Thermore batting. I can't believe how THIN it is! (Can we say - paper?) I haven't read the package to see if there are any special instructions, but I am planning on using it to hand quilt my Dear Jane Quilt as soon as I can get that Baby finished. The quilt top is so heavy that I didn't want anything with weight or bulk, & Connecting Threads is having a 30% off sale on batting. Was ordering some batiks and added batting to get free shipping. Any comments on Thermore?

Kathy

I've never understood the interest in bamboo batting. Cotton is a renewable resource and as eco-friendly as bamboo. It's also much less expensive batting. However, I do understand the interest in bamboo flooring. Bamboo grows much faster than trees and is considered more eco-friendly for flooring. But just as bamboo matures every year, so does cotton.

Blog Entries
    Were you at San Mateo? I was there too!

Quote Originally Posted by dellareya
    There was a booth a the sewing and quilt show I went to last weekend that had both bamboo and soy batting. I loved the feel of bamboo, but boy was it pricey. I can't imagine how expensive it would be to do a large quilt with it.

Quote Originally Posted by pookie ookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    I was on the fence but now it's a must try.

I wonder how well it handles heat. I like Warm 'n Natural but it's not 100% cotton so I still have flings with other materials.
    I was under the impression that Warm and Natural was 100% cotton?

I found a 100% bamboo that I am loving. Yes it does "rub" off a little. But that can be fixed after I am done with the binding. i have done one small quilt with it that I am getting ready to finish the binding for. I loved how it quilted up on that project and I am working on an over sized twin for my son with the bamboo batting. I really love the fact that it is anti-bacterial. that is the main purpose that I got it. It really feels great so far. If I were you, I would get a small amount and give it a try. You might like it and it will eventually go down in price. like all new fads out there it will get cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
    I was under the impression that Warm and Natural was 100% cotton?
    it is actually not 100% cotton can't remember the actual mix of it but there are also chemicals on it as well. but then again there are chemicals in and on everything we could ever have. if you have the paper it does say it on there. that is why you are not supposed to use it in the microwave potato bags i believe.

I have used bamboo batting for handquilting and had no problems with it. I purchased it at Joanns with my 40 or 50% off coupon. I would think it is easier to grow and requires less pest control than cotton. The harvesting would probably be easier as it doesnt have to be plucked or carded afterward.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast