Thread: HELP!!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 02:39 PM
All Thumbs

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949
How do you know which threads are put on the spool the horizontal way?

I have a Janome 3160, which has the spool spindle laying sideways. I've always used Gutermann thread, but after reading your post, I'm wondering which brands are appropriate.
I am a Gutermann thread user too--mainly for piecing. But I imagine any Brand is okay for the horizontal position as long as that particular spool is wound zigzag (See my post just above). Perhaps watching the video link below could help you define the way threads are wound.

http://video.about.com/quilting/Quilting-Thread-101.htm

Gutermanns have threads wound both ways depending upon which spool you purchase. Sometime ago I wrote the Gutermann factory wanting to clarify where their threads are made. They wrote back with the following information

Polyester Germany
Bulky Nylon Italy
Cotton Greece
Toldi-Lock Thailand
Upholstery Mexico

The country of origin for each type of thread is listed upon the ends of their spools. Gutermanns were speedy and kind in answering all my questions and, in my opinion, they are a good medium priced thread for piecing. Presently, I am using American-Efird poly wrap for machine quilting a quilt and am having no difficulty with it.

Again, I point out I use one kind for piecing and another kind for machine quilting. Hope this info is helpful.