Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP!!!!

I am brand new at sewing and have been working on my first quilt but am now having a very hard time with my machine. I ran out of my bobbin and switched to a new one but for some reason I cannot get the bobbin thread to catch to make a "good tight stitch" for lack of better explanation. I have a Janome Memorycraft 9700..any ideas...PLEASE :(

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Did you check the tension?? Rethread the upper thread?? Try taking the bobbin out and see if there is something stuck in the casing.

I don't mess with tension until I check EVERYthing else out. I've NEVER, in 5 yrs, changed the tension on my bobbin thread. My guess -- did you put the bobbin thread in backwards???

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    I don't mess with tension until I check EVERYthing else out. My guess -- did you put the bobbin thread in backwards???
    That would be my guess also.

Blog Entries
    Start with the basics- rethread the top of the machine - take out the bobbin - clean out the bobbin area well - put the bobbin back in - try it again :lol: Sometimes a piece of thread drops down into the bobbin area- just last week another member had a bunch of fuzzy built up under the bobbin area :shock: LOL

Rethread the machine top and bottom first. I also have threee Janome's and have never changed the tension on any of them. Is the boobin thread not hooked into the tension disc. Good Luck

I always start with taking everything out ( top thread and bobbin ) and check the needle. Change that if needed. Then rethread and replace the bobbin. If that's not it I clean the machine and oil. By then I'm usually okay.

First rule of the sewing machine: If it isn't sewing right, rethread the machine. It is amazing how many times this solves your problem. Then try a different bobbin.

All the other ideas are great as well. I hesitate to mess with the bobbin tension especially if it was working well prior to changing to a new bobbin.

Also, check to make sure your bobbin was wound correctly. Sometimes the bobbin will be warped, the thread wound unevenly and causes warping, etc.

Ok..to be honest I wouldn'y know how to change the tension (cannot find my book) and again brand new at sewing as embarrassing as that is. Ok..I chnaged my needle and started from scratch and for some reason my top thread is tangling up. I am almost done sewing my last set of strips and am dang near in tears....and Thanks sooooo much by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets6181
    Ok..to be honest I wouldn'y know how to change the tension (cannot find my book) and again brand new at sewing as embarrassing as that is. Ok..I chnaged my needle and started from scratch and for some reason my top thread is tangling up. I am almost done sewing my last set of strips and am dang near in tears....and Thanks sooooo much by the way.
    You didn't say what kind of machine you have but many manuals are available on-line as well. When my daughter has a question about her Janome, I look up her manual, read it and call her with an answer.

Your problem may be as simple as putting your bobbin in where it is unwinding backwards or you missed a step threading.

I truly understand the new to sewing thing. I was there myself once. My mother did not sew, still doesn't. If something loses a button, she takes it to a tailor or dry cleaners to repair. :roll:

Hang in there. Sometimes, taking a deep breath, walking away, reading a book, watching a little TV and sleeping does wonders. What isn't obvious today will be tomorrow.

wind thread on the bobbin you were first using. the new bobbin may be defective. same thread top & bottom ? or is there a different thread wound on the new bobbin ? check again to make sure you are going through the thread guides right way. and make sure the bobbin winder button is in the unlock position. hope some of this helps.

So sorry you are having problems. Can be so frustrating.
    You did not mention whether or not you are using prewound bobbins. The new ones wound on plastic have given me problems a couple of times. Most of the time they are perfect.
    Does sound like threading is a possibility.
    Good luck. Don't give up.
    One of the things I do when I have a product that gives me problems is attempt to call their customer service line. Most companies want you to think well of their product so will try to assist.

Tahnk you all so much. I stepped away for a bit and am about to attemp again. The bobbin was one that the store here in town wound while they were trying to sell me the machine..so I think I will rewind the one I was using and see if that works. Again thanks a million and will keep ya posted :)

Blog Entries
    [quote=smitty]wind thread on the bobbin you were first using. the new bobbin may be defective.
    ----------------------------------
    That is what I suggest also. I did the same, tried to use a Singer bobbin in my new Brother after running out of thread on the single bobbin that came with the Brother. Turns out they use a different type of bobbin. Almost impossible to tell apart by size, except the Brother bobbin has a slight circle raised on top of it..
    Try the SAME bobbin you started with.
    Then if it still won't work, take it out and use a flashlight and check everywhere you can see. A clean curved eyelash darkener
    can pick up all sorts of tiny threads caught in tight places.

I stepped away and found my informational disc so I watched that and follwed it word for ford but for some reason the top thread will tangle to the right of the bobbin and cause a big mess. i have decided to take it to the dealer tomorrow and hope that he can tell me what happened...I was almost done :( that is what is so gut wrenching it is a fairly new machine and has not been used much at all. Again thank you all so much for your input. ;)

I'm sorry for the machine frustrations. Tell yourself it is a learning experience AFTER you take it to the dealer. You will feel a lot better when everything is checked over. They will also be able to give you one-on-one information. It is so much harder to troubleshoot a new machine when you are new to sewing as well.

Just so you know, my first machine was a Singer Touch and Sew. We've decided it should have been renamed a Touch and Throw. My Mother-in-Law informed my husband it was enough to make a person lose their religion and to get me one that worked right. :lol: I spent years thinking it was ME when I actually had a machine that would not be timed correctly no matter who did the repair.

Make sure bobbing thread is same at top thread.

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets6181
    I am brand new at sewing and have been working on my first quilt but am now having a very hard time with my machine. I ran out of my bobbin and switched to a new one but for some reason I cannot get the bobbin thread to catch to make a "good tight stitch" for lack of better explanation. I have a Janome Memorycraft 9700..any ideas...PLEASE :(
    With my Janome MC4900 QC, I had that problem a couple of times. One was that I had my bobbin in backwards; and the other was that when I threaded it, the needle was not fully in the upright position.

after cleaning, rethreading, etc., how about turning everything off and turning it back on to reset? that's how i got my little machine to work again. these are electronic, like computers -- the sewing machine man said he didn't find a thing wrong with my little machine, didn't even need a tune-up

Is the needle in properly? Truly sounds like a simple fix ... try rethreading .... make sure needle is inserted ALL THE WAY, with flat part facing proper position (some machines are flat to back, others are flat to side).

Let us know how you make out, but it truly sounds like something that just isn't crossing your mind .....

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    Another great resource is the Janome Forums page. I have joined that and get some really good help.

Blog Entries
    Try a different bobbin. Some are shaped differently and won't work.

Banned
    Do those machines need oiling? I know my brother messes up the threads bigtime when it doesn't have enough oil in it

Blog Entries
    I agree with the others. First start with the thing you changed: the bobbin. Is it the right size? Is it going in the right direction. Take out, rethread. Then rethread your top thread. Change your needle. Try sewing again. I wouldn't do anything with tension unless none of the above work. Let us know if anything helps.

a simple rule to remember, If the thread tangles on the top of your fabric, the problem is with the bobbin. If the thread tangles on the bottom of the fabric, the problem is with the top (i.e. threading, needle, etc.)
    It is probably something simple, like putting the bobbin in the case in the wrong direction--just try flipping it over, front to back.
    I do think it is a good idea to visit your dealer again for a quick tutorial on how to outsmart the machine.
    Good luck, and don't get frustrated! :thumbup:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast