View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 08:40 PM
retrogirl02

I grew up around quilts and being a detailed oriented person, always loved the fact they were so reflective of their owner/creator's taste.

Mom wanted me to use a machine and I had NO interest in any of that. I thought I'd get a chance in high school but home ec classes weren't offered and I had no idea where to take any lessons. I did a little embroidery and tried a few other crafts but didn't find my niche until I had my first child. I had so much fun designing costumes (I still can't follow a pattern to save my life) for him and sewing them by hand. Mom probably thought I was nuts...she must have offered to teach me the machine about a million times until I was ready 8 years later :lol:

When I was pregnant with my second I was on bedrest and almost lost my mind....by the time my third pregnancy rolled around, I had to get a hobby. I learned the absolute basics on an old kenmore and then mom taught me to hand quilt on the cutest kitty panels ever. I completed that project and learned about the sandwich, basting, and making bias binding. I sent it to a good friend from college who was living in oregon. She had her first baby girl just before my daughter was born. I've made some toddler blankets in the mean time, but nothing major since I've been so busy being an active mom.

The women in my family have been quilters for generations and joining their ranks is an honor.