View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 08:52 PM
stevendebbie25

Where do I start? I know we have many newbie's here asking to be adopted. I forgot who, but someone on this newbie group was matching newbie's to more experienced quilters and contacting you. It's nice when you and your adoptee have the same machine, so she can help you if you have problems. There are LOTS of tutorials on this group site.
Never forget 'google' or any search and you'll be amazed how many tips on every detail and wonderful youtube videos and tutorials you'll find. Take a class from your local quilt shop or they'll know if there is a local teacher. Ask at your church, often quilters will be happy to help you. Attend quilt shows and retreats. Often your state guild assn will have a state show with classes. Take classes specific to "Beginner" quilters, you won't be frustrated or falling behind. Watch Quilt shows on TV, BHG show, Quilting with Nancy, and Prairie Public channels.
Your local library will have lots of quilt books, usually quilt DVDs or VHS tapes to learn & take notes from too.
Invest in GOOD understandable (for you) Beginner Basic Quilt books, bible, guides...handy reference to keep near by.
Join a local quilt guild, usually they have a monthly project/lesson & are helpful.
Don't be afraid to "show & tell". We all started out as newbies, and I always find inspriation from everyone's quilts, no matter how simple the pattern, often their color choices, theme, something will inspire me...so do share your work, be proud of it! Enter a quilt show or local county fair, if not to expect to win, just to experience the event. Judges are helpful in their critique, and do NOT take it personally, they do not know you, they are just sharing what you could do to improve, or complimenting your work. NEVER listen to Quilt Police (negative comments from ANY quilter). If they don't have something nice to say, ignore them. I know a few of these self proclaimed quilt police and realized they don't do amazing quilts themselves, and one lady I don't believe I've ever seen her do a finished quilt? But she thinks she can judge other's?
Just smile and let it roll off.
Give gifts..charity or family & friends, no one is going to pick your work apart or detail search it for that unmatched corner or not exact 1/4" seam. You'll improve with each quilt project, and they'll simply love that you put that much time into making them a wonderful gift. Enjoy quilting and don't be discouraged... it's not brain surgery or rocket science, not life or death, so have FUN!