View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Ps 150

Originally Posted by dgmoby
Longarmers tend to use many different products to mark quilts. We also share the good, the bad and the ugly about various products that have had problems in the past...so that we never use them and ruin someone's quilt.

It's pretty well known to never use yellow or red anything, and this particular chalk is known to cause issues. (The heat from the needle is probably what cuased the yellow to set in.) In addition, if using chalk, it's best to use Miracle Chalk in either the washable or iron-away versions, white or blue. This chalk, along with the blue washout markers, seem to work consistently well without issues...unless they're heat set with sun/iron - then they won't come out.

We also share many tips to get out markings. It's been reported by a couple of people that Oxy-Clean has faded/bleached their fabric. Many have reported success with it, so just watch for the fading. Dawn is used well, and an alcohol mixture for pencil marks.

Hope this helps. Sorry it's too late to help you - and I sure hope it comes out! Maybe it will help someone else in time though. Keep working with it. Eventually you'll get it out, but it sure takes a lot of trial and error! At least the purple is out :)

Debbie in Austin
I never thought about the heat from the machine or the needle! That makes sense since I did that quilting last, later in the day, after the machine and needle were warmed up. This was a chalk that I bought in the quilting section and it said it was for quilting. It's not the dressmaker's chalk. I do have some of that but use it for making doll clothes for my girls. It's come out before but now it's not. I'm thinking that I'll save it for marking applique placement from now on so if it does get set it, it'll be covered by the applique piece.

I also did notice the Oxy-Clean fading but only on one of the fabrics. Thankfully, I like how it made that fabric look, like it was a bit aged, but I'll definitely be calling my LQS back today to let them know that recommending Oxy-Clean is not a good thing! :wink: