Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Chalk Won't Come Out Of The Quilt!

I tried my hand at stenciling in quilting designs into my new quilt and used this rolling chalk that I found at Joann's. It brushed off of the fabric scraps fine. But when I went to brush it off of the quilt after I'd quilted, it didn't come off of two of the fabrics. At first I thought it was trapped beneath the monofilament thread I'd used but it's on either side of the thread. So, I got a wet washcloth and tried to wipe it off since that's worked for friends. It didn't work for me. :cry: I've tried putting it in the washer on a rinse cycle, twice. Then I tried laundering it with soap and even another time with Shout! Nothing is taking it out. One of the fabrics it's on is a tan and the chalk is yellow so it blends all right but the other fabric is a dark purple! Any thoughts or ideas to help out?

try dawn dishsoap....
    I would try it on a scrap of purple first to make sure it doesn't remove the color....
    I have found that I can get stains out with Dawn that nothing else will

Blog Entries
    I have no idea..but wondering what kind of chalk it was so none of us will ever use it!

Quote Originally Posted by charismah
    I have no idea..but wondering what kind of chalk it was so none of us will ever use it!
    I believe it was Dritz brand. It comes in a little tube of powdered yellow chalk and rolls out onto the quilt like you're writing with a pencil. But, I've used it on a few other quilts this week (it's been a quilting marathon week) and it brushed off of them all without a problem. My LQS suggested that perhaps these two fabrics have a different finish than the other fabrics. :?

Banned
    ackk wont never use that brand of chalk. Can not ever take a chance with others quilt tops.

Blog Entries
    another case of pre-washing and testing was needed.
    i know the whole pre-wash/don't prewash topic is on-going and futile; but there are times when you should ALWAYS pre-wash. and one of those times is ...
    when ever you plan to use an (additive)
    if you plan on marking, fusing, starching, dyeing, painting ect, ect...you should pre-wash your fabrics that way what ever technique you are using is not going to be adversely affected by any chemicals or oils in the fabric. and you should always test any (marking-tool) on each fabric being used, if you use 50 different fabrics in a quilt but only check your chalk on 2 of them you have no idea if it is going to come out of the other 48. some of the dyes in chalk are harder to remove than others and when they (react) with the chemicals in the fabrics you never know what is going to happen

how about a " TIDE" stain out pen??? I've used it to get old set in chili stains out of a white table cloth

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    I just ordered chalk form Joanns yesterday since it was free shipping. I better check the brand.
    Sorry you are having this problem. Did you try Arm and Hammer Washing soda or 20 Mule Team Borox? Those get even the dirtiest diapers clean maybe it will remove the chalk.

Senior Member twospoiledhuskies's Avatar
    I made a tablerunner for my sister for christmas. Almost done and iron spewed rusty brown on the light green/pink block. I made a paste with powered oxy - came out great.
    It did it again all over the block when I was doing my final pressing. This time alot worse. It took 3 applications, but it all came off. I just rubbed it on with washcloth.

Hope one these ideas gets it out for you :D

Eri
    I wonder if the chalk you bought was heat-settable and it got set when (if) you ironed the seams? Do you still have the original packaging to check?

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i know the whole pre-wash/don't prewash topic is on-going and futile; but there are times when you should ALWAYS pre-wash. and one of those times is ...
    if you plan on marking, fusing, starching, dyeing, painting ect, ect...you should pre-wash your fabrics that way what ever technique you are using is not going to be adversely affected by any chemicals or oils in the fabric. and you should always test any (marking-tool) on each fabric being used, if you use 50 different fabrics in a quilt but only check your chalk on 2 of them you have no idea if it is going to come out of the other 48. some of the dyes in chalk are harder to remove than others and when they (react) with the chemicals in the fabrics you never know what is going to happen
    Sadly, I did prewash and did pretest the chalk on all of the fabrics and it brushed off of all of them. It wasn't until it was sewn that it wouldn't come out. Very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Eri
    I wonder if the chalk you bought was heat-settable and it got set when (if) you ironed the seams? Do you still have the original packaging to check?
    I didn't iron it after I put the chalk on. I put the chalk on after I had basted the layers and I try not to iron a quilt at all after that point, even with the cotton batting. I just don't trust it, :lol: .

Quote Originally Posted by Ps 150
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    Sadly, I did prewash and did pretest the chalk on all of the fabrics and it brushed off of all of them. It wasn't until it was sewn that it wouldn't come out. Very frustrating.
    That is just weird then... you did everything right....
    Have you tried the Dawn? I am assuming you have not run this through the dryer? That could set the chalk color

Nope, I haven't tried Dawn yet. I have to run to the store in the morning so I'm going to pick it up. I did, finally get it out of the dark purple which was my main concern but it's not coming out of the tan still. My LQS suggested Oxi-Clean and that took it out of the purple. I just can't figure out why it would come out of the tan scraps and not the tan in the quilt. Both were pre-washed.

lol, I love this statement:

"there are times when you should ALWAYS pre-wash. and one of those times is ..."

I'm so sorry that this has happened.

You've done everything I would have tried. I just don't know what else you could do.

Is it possible to share a picture, and we might be able to give you some ideas on how to disguise it?

Ive had the same problem, I hope someone has the answer

Longarmers tend to use many different products to mark quilts. We also share the good, the bad and the ugly about various products that have had problems in the past...so that we never use them and ruin someone's quilt.

It's pretty well known to never use yellow or red anything, and this particular chalk is known to cause issues. (The heat from the needle is probably what cuased the yellow to set in.) In addition, if using chalk, it's best to use Miracle Chalk in either the washable or iron-away versions, white or blue. This chalk, along with the blue washout markers, seem to work consistently well without issues...unless they're heat set with sun/iron - then they won't come out.

We also share many tips to get out markings. It's been reported by a couple of people that Oxy-Clean has faded/bleached their fabric. Many have reported success with it, so just watch for the fading. Dawn is used well, and an alcohol mixture for pencil marks.

Hope this helps. Sorry it's too late to help you - and I sure hope it comes out! Maybe it will help someone else in time though. Keep working with it. Eventually you'll get it out, but it sure takes a lot of trial and error! At least the purple is out :)

Debbie in Austin

I did a little research for you on the LA website. This is what I've found. There is a product called Sew Clean that is a natural cleaner that is good for many things. Several report good results in getting out the yellow.

The problem is that this chalk has wax in it, and it's made to be hidden in dressmaker interiors. They reported not to use the yellow, red or pink chalks, but several have had OK luck using the white (assumed it has less chalk?). Still, most dump out the chalk that comes in the little liners and refill with Miracle Chalk as they like the little holders (and this is what I'm gonna do too!).

Sorry it's not much help - I'll keep looking for homemade ideas.

Debbie in Austin

you could try magic eraser - works well to take out lead pencil.....that's the only thing i've used it on because that is what i use to mark my quilts

Chalk tends to dye some of the light threads...I have a couple of lovely table runners that has light yellow instead of white quilting now because of the yellow chalk I used, and it was a good brand too. Even after 5 years, it still hasn't washed out and I use the tablerunners every fall and Christmas. I now use the blue or white water erasable marking pens and love the results.

Quote Originally Posted by dgmoby
    Longarmers tend to use many different products to mark quilts. We also share the good, the bad and the ugly about various products that have had problems in the past...so that we never use them and ruin someone's quilt.

It's pretty well known to never use yellow or red anything, and this particular chalk is known to cause issues. (The heat from the needle is probably what cuased the yellow to set in.) In addition, if using chalk, it's best to use Miracle Chalk in either the washable or iron-away versions, white or blue. This chalk, along with the blue washout markers, seem to work consistently well without issues...unless they're heat set with sun/iron - then they won't come out.

We also share many tips to get out markings. It's been reported by a couple of people that Oxy-Clean has faded/bleached their fabric. Many have reported success with it, so just watch for the fading. Dawn is used well, and an alcohol mixture for pencil marks.

Hope this helps. Sorry it's too late to help you - and I sure hope it comes out! Maybe it will help someone else in time though. Keep working with it. Eventually you'll get it out, but it sure takes a lot of trial and error! At least the purple is out :)

Debbie in Austin
    I never thought about the heat from the machine or the needle! That makes sense since I did that quilting last, later in the day, after the machine and needle were warmed up. This was a chalk that I bought in the quilting section and it said it was for quilting. It's not the dressmaker's chalk. I do have some of that but use it for making doll clothes for my girls. It's come out before but now it's not. I'm thinking that I'll save it for marking applique placement from now on so if it does get set it, it'll be covered by the applique piece.

I also did notice the Oxy-Clean fading but only on one of the fabrics. Thankfully, I like how it made that fabric look, like it was a bit aged, but I'll definitely be calling my LQS back today to let them know that recommending Oxy-Clean is not a good thing! :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca
    you could try magic eraser - works well to take out lead pencil.....that's the only thing i've used it on because that is what i use to mark my quilts
    I didn't think of that! I have one upstairs. I'll go check it out!

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Goodness let us know if it works out.

You might try contacting the chalk manufacturer...If they don't know about the problem they should! Maybe they could suggest a solution. What a pity after all your work!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast