Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My Chalk Won't Come Out Of The Quilt! >
  • My Chalk Won't Come Out Of The Quilt!

• My Chalk Won't Come Out Of The Quilt!

Old 11-30-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    another case of pre-washing and testing was needed.
    i know the whole pre-wash/don't prewash topic is on-going and futile; but there are times when you should ALWAYS pre-wash. and one of those times is ...
    when ever you plan to use an (additive)
    if you plan on marking, fusing, starching, dyeing, painting ect, ect...you should pre-wash your fabrics that way what ever technique you are using is not going to be adversely affected by any chemicals or oils in the fabric. and you should always test any (marking-tool) on each fabric being used, if you use 50 different fabrics in a quilt but only check your chalk on 2 of them you have no idea if it is going to come out of the other 48. some of the dyes in chalk are harder to remove than others and when they (react) with the chemicals in the fabrics you never know what is going to happen
    Sadly, I did prewash and did pretest the chalk on all of the fabrics and it brushed off of all of them. It wasn't until it was sewn that it wouldn't come out. Very frustrating.
    Old 11-30-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Eri
    I wonder if the chalk you bought was heat-settable and it got set when (if) you ironed the seams? Do you still have the original packaging to check?
    I didn't iron it after I put the chalk on. I put the chalk on after I had basted the layers and I try not to iron a quilt at all after that point, even with the cotton batting. I just don't trust it, :lol: .
    Old 11-30-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ps 150
    Originally Posted by ckcowl
    another case of pre-washing and testing was needed.
    i know the whole pre-wash/don't prewash topic is on-going and futile; but there are times when you should ALWAYS pre-wash. and one of those times is ...
    when ever you plan to use an (additive)
    if you plan on marking, fusing, starching, dyeing, painting ect, ect...you should pre-wash your fabrics that way what ever technique you are using is not going to be adversely affected by any chemicals or oils in the fabric. and you should always test any (marking-tool) on each fabric being used, if you use 50 different fabrics in a quilt but only check your chalk on 2 of them you have no idea if it is going to come out of the other 48. some of the dyes in chalk are harder to remove than others and when they (react) with the chemicals in the fabrics you never know what is going to happen
    Sadly, I did prewash and did pretest the chalk on all of the fabrics and it brushed off of all of them. It wasn't until it was sewn that it wouldn't come out. Very frustrating.
    That is just weird then... you did everything right....
    Have you tried the Dawn? I am assuming you have not run this through the dryer? That could set the chalk color
    Old 11-30-2010, 08:58 PM

Nope, I haven't tried Dawn yet. I have to run to the store in the morning so I'm going to pick it up. I did, finally get it out of the dark purple which was my main concern but it's not coming out of the tan still. My LQS suggested Oxi-Clean and that took it out of the purple. I just can't figure out why it would come out of the tan scraps and not the tan in the quilt. Both were pre-washed.
    Old 11-30-2010, 09:03 PM

lol, I love this statement:

"there are times when you should ALWAYS pre-wash. and one of those times is ..."
    Old 11-30-2010, 09:13 PM

I'm so sorry that this has happened.

You've done everything I would have tried. I just don't know what else you could do.

Is it possible to share a picture, and we might be able to give you some ideas on how to disguise it?
    Old 11-30-2010, 11:22 PM

Ive had the same problem, I hope someone has the answer
    Old 12-01-2010, 02:19 AM

Longarmers tend to use many different products to mark quilts. We also share the good, the bad and the ugly about various products that have had problems in the past...so that we never use them and ruin someone's quilt.

It's pretty well known to never use yellow or red anything, and this particular chalk is known to cause issues. (The heat from the needle is probably what cuased the yellow to set in.) In addition, if using chalk, it's best to use Miracle Chalk in either the washable or iron-away versions, white or blue. This chalk, along with the blue washout markers, seem to work consistently well without issues...unless they're heat set with sun/iron - then they won't come out.

We also share many tips to get out markings. It's been reported by a couple of people that Oxy-Clean has faded/bleached their fabric. Many have reported success with it, so just watch for the fading. Dawn is used well, and an alcohol mixture for pencil marks.

Hope this helps. Sorry it's too late to help you - and I sure hope it comes out! Maybe it will help someone else in time though. Keep working with it. Eventually you'll get it out, but it sure takes a lot of trial and error! At least the purple is out :)

Debbie in Austin
    Old 12-01-2010, 02:28 AM

I did a little research for you on the LA website. This is what I've found. There is a product called Sew Clean that is a natural cleaner that is good for many things. Several report good results in getting out the yellow.

The problem is that this chalk has wax in it, and it's made to be hidden in dressmaker interiors. They reported not to use the yellow, red or pink chalks, but several have had OK luck using the white (assumed it has less chalk?). Still, most dump out the chalk that comes in the little liners and refill with Miracle Chalk as they like the little holders (and this is what I'm gonna do too!).

Sorry it's not much help - I'll keep looking for homemade ideas.

Debbie in Austin
    Old 12-01-2010, 02:50 AM

you could try magic eraser - works well to take out lead pencil.....that's the only thing i've used it on because that is what i use to mark my quilts