View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 12:17 PM
omak

I don't remember being exhausted, but then I had pretty much made up my mind that I was NOT those kids' playmate or toy.
I watched my daughter raise one child and kept telling her: Have MORE - - they entertain each other!
She did NOT appreciate that bit of input.
I remember with our first grandchild the first time I had to pop him on the bumba ... that was when I knew why God gave children to young people.
Young people aren't quite so patient as us old, fat, lazy, wimpy, tired old people. My kids were extremely amazed at how patient I was with the boy.
But, the day did come, as it always will when your child is healthy, well-fed, and highly intelligent. The day when the boy looks you in the eye, says "NO!" and MEANS no! (or "I AM going to do what I want, and you can't make me!"
Wanna bet??? It about broke my heart to hear his sobs, and I vowed that I would never do that again (I think that lasted about three days, and he decided to try something else <g>)
but, for the most part, it only took one time to teach him that I was very capable of meaning what I say ...
sometimes, we expect too much from children, and sometimes we don't expect enough.
If you think of it - - humans were created to be productive and if we don't teach little humans at an early age how to produce something positive, they will produce something else less desirable, but they WILL produce.
And, enjoy the child for who he is!
My kids never went through stages - - I wouldn't allow it, but I did try to figure out what their actions were telling me about what was going on in their heads ...
a growing human, no matter the age, is seeking input and feedback and will do a lot of weird things to accomplish that end.
Remember to keep an eye on the end product. You want a human who is reasonably self-sufficient, useful to others, and thoughtful, respectful, with a backbone of his own ... it takes a lot of work to accomplish that and a bit of expecting them to perform a bit beyond their level - - or at least the desire to improve themselves without having you tell them every move to make.
We really do start with a helpless infant who is expected to grow up into a responsible adult - - that isn't accomplished by waiting until x-age to start. We are teaching them every day, and we are the ones they want to learn it from (even when they are their most unlovable selves).
Can't tell I really like this subject, can you? LOL <wave>