Old 12-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Mattee

Bernina had one time at which it changed its shanks, so the new feet don't fit on older machines, but this happened only once, and was done because the new foot design is so much nicer than the old. They don't update their foot design every couple of years; it was done once in the last several decades, maybe even century. Their feet are interchangeable between each of the machines, so if you buy a new machine, all of your feet will fit it, as long as they aren't the much older style of foot. It's like pre-1982 feet and post-1982 feet, for example (I don't know the exact year). They don't do it often, and aren't likely to have plans to do it again.

Originally Posted by mar32428
When I could afford it, I moved up to Berninas. I loved them. Then I got a lemon serger. My friend got a lemon 1630. My biggest complaint is as Bernina updates its machines, it makes it impossible for you to use the new feet etc. on your older machine. I can't afford a new Bernina every other year. I finally moved to Jenome. I have the gem for classes and the 6600 for quilting. I love the machines and as far as stitching quality, I guess I'm just not that particular. That was never one of my criterias when selecting a machine.