Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 124

Thread: Why a Bernina over a Jamone Sewing machine

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Dover Foxcroft, Maine
    Posts
    72
    What is your reason if you made that choice?

    Cathy

  2. #2
    Super Member Maride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,882
    Mine came for free, isn't that a great reason?

  3. #3
    Super Member DebraK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    9,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    Mine came for free, isn't that a great reason?

    The perfect reason.

  4. #4
    Super Member peaceandjoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Finger Lakes of upstate NY
    Posts
    2,317
    Berninas, other than the housing, are still metal. For durability, that's a plus. However, if you will be taking the machine to classes, retreats, etc., hauling a 25+ lb. machine is a pain in the neck.

    That's why my "regular" machine is a Bernina, and my "traveling" machine is a Janome.

  5. #5
    Kas
    Kas is offline
    Super Member Kas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    2,044
    I didn't have a Janome dealer around when I got my Bernina. So I never test drove one. I was replacing a Pfaff and had tried the Viking and wasn't impressed. So that is why I got a Bernina.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Dover Foxcroft, Maine
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    Mine came for free, isn't that a great reason?
    Great reason I would take anyone that way

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Dover Foxcroft, Maine
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
    Berninas, other than the housing, are still metal. For durability, that's a plus. However, if you will be taking the machine to classes, retreats, etc., hauling a 25+ lb. machine is a pain in the neck.

    That's why my "regular" machine is a Bernina, and my "traveling" machine is a Janome.
    That was my thinking as well I have an older Kenmore heavy machine purchased a gem gold to take to class but looking to have only one machine but still need a little one

  8. #8
    Super Member Annaquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9,718
    I think the quality over all is better. That said 6 plus years ago I choose a Janome over a Bernina because it seemed Janome was more in touch with quilting needs. (large throat space, automatic push button thread cutter, quilters package, feet included and knee lifter) I would look at all the features and what you want and test drive both. By the way my dealer has both Bernina and Janome. She actually recommended the Janome to me because of the quilting features. I do have a vintage Bernina 830 also. I do think Janome quality is good too. I run my Janome 6500, Janome Gem Silver, and two other Janomes hard and for years now and they are all in excellent shape.

  9. #9
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    I have both a Janome and Bernina! Get two is my motto:> To be serious. Nothing compares to the quality of a Bernina. That being said, it's the most expensive on the market. IMHO worth it, but Janome has an excellent reputation and I was thrilled with my 9000 until I upgraded to my Bernina. So....it really is preference and how much you want to spend on a new toy.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Dover Foxcroft, Maine
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I have both a Janome and Bernina! Get two is my motto:> To be serious. Nothing compares to the quality of a Bernina. That being said, it's the most expensive on the market. IMHO worth it, but Janome has an excellent reputation and I was thrilled with my 9000 until I upgraded to my Bernina. So....it really is preference and how much you want to spend on a new toy.
    It seems you can get more for your money with a Janome

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    964
    Blog Entries
    11
    I am a "Bernina" woman. I have used them all my sewing years, Tried a Janome once. It was OK but did not compare. Love my Bernina.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Pink Dogwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    369
    I have 2 Berninas, one is and older 1160 which I still use often the other is my 180 embroidery/quilting machine. Both make beautiful stitches and I can always count on them. Did a test drive recently on a Janome and was not impressed. I'll stick to my Bernina.

  13. #13
    Super Member 117becca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dayton OH
    Posts
    1,875
    i have a little Bernette - and i like it. I also have an older Singer - 40s or 50s and it is much better workhorse because it will work w/ heavier weight fabrics. I do know that the Bernette isn't designed for the real heavy duty stuff

  14. #14
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by memere9
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I have both a Janome and Bernina! Get two is my motto:> To be serious. Nothing compares to the quality of a Bernina. That being said, it's the most expensive on the market. IMHO worth it, but Janome has an excellent reputation and I was thrilled with my 9000 until I upgraded to my Bernina. So....it really is preference and how much you want to spend on a new toy.
    It seems you can get more for your money with a Janome
    Yes, because Janome is made cheaper in China with cheaper materials. I love my Janome, but there really is no comparison to a Bernina. It's like comparing a Chevy to a Rolls Royce. There's nothing wrong with a Chevy. But, once you've driven a Rolls Royce, it's hard to go back!

  15. #15
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by 117becca
    i have a little Bernette - and i like it. I also have an older Singer - 40s or 50s and it is much better workhorse because it will work w/ heavier weight fabrics. I do know that the Bernette isn't designed for the real heavy duty stuff
    Just an FYI a Bernette is NOT a Bernina. It's made for Bernina but not BY Bernina. Clear as mud;>

  16. #16
    Super Member sewingladydi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Woodhaven, Michigan
    Posts
    1,983
    I don't have a Bernina or a Janome. But I would love to have BSR if I was going to a new machine.

  17. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NE Pa.
    Posts
    1,614
    I have three Janome's and never had a problem with any of them. I never test drove a Bernina per sae but the price of the extra feet and the fact two of my friends had Berninas and they were in the shop more than they were in their homes.

  18. #18
    Super Member quiltlonger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Rushford, NY
    Posts
    1,690
    Never had a Bernina only a Janome 8000 and that was a Surprise from my hubby- years ago both are still great after all these years!!

  19. #19
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,167
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Yes, because Janome is made cheaper in China with cheaper materials.
    my Janome boxes said made in Japan.

    and they are not at all cheap.

    as much as i love my Janomes i can also say that i've never met a Bernina owner who wasn't absolutely crazy over it. not one has ever said she wished she'd bought something different. i don't know if it's true of all models, but the bernina a friend has is quieter than either of my janomes. i think you'll be pleased whichever you buy. pick the one that offers the most for the amount you can afford to spend. you will not regret it. :-)

  20. #20
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Yes, because Janome is made cheaper in China with cheaper materials.
    my Janome boxes said made in Japan.

    and they are not at all cheap.

    as much as i love my Janomes i can also say that i've never met a Bernina owner who wasn't absolutely crazy over it. not one has ever said she wished she'd bought something different. i don't know if it's true of all models, but the bernina a friend has is quieter than either of my janomes. i think you'll be pleased whichever you buy. pick the one that offers the most for the amount you can afford to spend. you will not regret it. :-)
    Yup, my bad. Japan. I didn't say cheap, I said cheaper.

  21. #21
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    I didn't test drive the Janome, but I love my Bernina. Bought it from the dealer, but it was a trade in. I will never part with it. I ride her hard and put her up wet and she is ready to go everytime. Not a minutes trouble out of it. I think the Bernina has a more complete offering of feet (of course they are expensive) as well.

    I think that you should test drive and form your own opinion based on YOUR needs. You'll be happier that way-

  22. #22
    Super Member IrishNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    was Upstate NY, now Winston-Salem NC
    Posts
    2,025
    I went to a class for machine quilting many years ago and had trouble with my machine. The store was a Bernina dealer and gave me a machine to use. That was the end of it for me. I came home and told DH I HAD to have a Bernina. We had one income and four little kids - we could not afford a Bernina. I coveted for a year or two and then budget be damned, I got one. I haven't been sorry for a single minute, have never had a minute of trouble and wouldn't sell it for anything.

    I have thought about getting a backup beside my FW and have looked at Viking and Janome. Can't say I won't ever do it but I just can't imagine I would choose to use another machine when my Bernina is sitting there.

  23. #23
    Super Member gale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North-Central Indiana
    Posts
    4,637
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Yes, because Janome is made cheaper in China with cheaper materials.
    my Janome boxes said made in Japan.

    and they are not at all cheap.

    as much as i love my Janomes i can also say that i've never met a Bernina owner who wasn't absolutely crazy over it. not one has ever said she wished she'd bought something different. i don't know if it's true of all models, but the bernina a friend has is quieter than either of my janomes. i think you'll be pleased whichever you buy. pick the one that offers the most for the amount you can afford to spend. you will not regret it. :-)
    Yup, my bad. Japan. I didn't say cheap, I said cheaper.
    My box says Japan too. Japan is not like China or Taiwan in regards to cheaper made electronics. I would buy something made in Japan over the others any day-it's not the same by a longshot.

    eta: Janome also was originally a Japanese company, so it stands to reason they would still be made in Japan (some, however, are not made in Japan).

  24. #24
    Super Member scowlkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,531
    Blog Entries
    11
    I would take a Janome over Bernina any day! Janomes are almost completely metal still (not the ones in Hancocks - the ones you buy through dealers - and yes, I have verified that they are different). I sew on a Bernina frequently at a friend's house and find it to be a real pain in the neck, it has a very poor quality satin stitch and hate the front loading bobbin. Besides the price of the machine and all the accessories is way out of line for what you get. Now Janome has fallen behind in keeping up with the current features for embroidery machines so I went with a Babylock Ellisimo when I upgraded this summer. I could have gone with the Bernina 830 monster but after playing with it at the shop and studying the manual, I felt it was too finicky for my tastes.

    Now this is all my personal opinion and reasoning. I know that most of the dedicated Bernina people are going to disagree which is fine. The main thing is to give yourself an opportunity to study and use whatever machines you are interested in to make an informed decision and prevent regrets.

    Off my soapbox now!

  25. #25
    Super Member gale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North-Central Indiana
    Posts
    4,637
    Blog Entries
    1
    I didn't know Bernina was a front loader. That is one of my top reasons for choosing the machines I do is that I prefer a drop in bobbin. I've had a front loader (babylock) and didn't care for it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.