Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why a Bernina over a Jamone Sewing machine

thanks for all these comments. I can't upgrade yet, but I keep wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I didn't know Bernina was a front loader. That is one of my top reasons for choosing the machines I do is that I prefer a drop in bobbin. I've had a front loader (babylock) and didn't care for it.
    My Janome is a drop in and my Bernina a front loading. I like being able to see immediately, how much is left on the bobbin with the Janome. But, the front loading bobbin is much more user friendly when it comes to embroidering. If the bobbin is running low or runs out while doing an embroidery I don't have to remove the hoop and fuss with it, just open up the front and pop it in. So, it really depends on what you use the machine for IMO.

I have older Berninas and love them. Have had one since 1075. The older ones have a beautiful satin stitch. I have a Jem Gold Janome which I take to class, also a Featherweight. I have sewed on top of line Janome but prefer Bernina.

I have three Janome machines. I have the 6500 (that I bought new), a 1600P for my mid-arm, and a baby Janome my kids use to sew on. I have NEVER had an issue with my Janome machines. I love everything about my 6500. There are a few features that the 7700 has that would be nice, but I cannot imagine sewing on any other brand. I tried out a Bernina and a Pfaff, and a couple others, but fell in love with the Janome before I bought it.

a regular here
    I have 2 singers, a brother and a Janome. I only use my Janome. I love it. It is light enough to take anywhere, and yet durable. I sews like a dream and also quilts beautifuly

The reason I have a Bernina is because my sister bought it for me because she wanted to teach me to quilt about 15 years ago.
    My machine is awesome! I've never had a minutes trouble out of it. Love, love, love Bernina!

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Quote Originally Posted by memere9
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I have both a Janome and Bernina! Get two is my motto:> To be serious. Nothing compares to the quality of a Bernina. That being said, it's the most expensive on the market. IMHO worth it, but Janome has an excellent reputation and I was thrilled with my 9000 until I upgraded to my Bernina. So....it really is preference and how much you want to spend on a new toy.
    It seems you can get more for your money with a Janome
    Thank you for this comment I actually love my old kenmore but need some more stitches on the small Janome I bought. The shop I go to that sell Jamome sells used ones. I think I am going to get a used gem gold that does more that the one I have now and save for a new larger model Bernina. It does seem more shops sell those.

Yes, because Janome is made cheaper in China with cheaper materials. I love my Janome, but there really is no comparison to a Bernina. It's like comparing a Chevy to a Rolls Royce. There's nothing wrong with a Chevy. But, once you've driven a Rolls Royce, it's hard to go back!

Quote Originally Posted by mic-pa
    I have three Janome's and never had a problem with any of them. I never test drove a Bernina per sae but the price of the extra feet and the fact two of my friends had Berninas and they were in the shop more than they were in their homes.
    From the comments I am getting I guess it is really a personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by scowlkat
    I would take a Janome over Bernina any day! Janomes are almost completely metal still (not the ones in Hancocks - the ones you buy through dealers - and yes, I have verified that they are different). I sew on a Bernina frequently at a friend's house and find it to be a real pain in the neck, it has a very poor quality satin stitch and hate the front loading bobbin. Besides the price of the machine and all the accessories is way out of line for what you get. Now Janome has fallen behind in keeping up with the current features for embroidery machines so I went with a Babylock Ellisimo when I upgraded this summer. I could have gone with the Bernina 830 monster but after playing with it at the shop and studying the manual, I felt it was too finicky for my tastes.

Now this is all my personal opinion and reasoning. I know that most of the dedicated Bernina people are going to disagree which is fine. The main thing is to give yourself an opportunity to study and use whatever machines you are interested in to make an informed decision and prevent regrets.

Off my soapbox now!
    Thanks for the info One reason I have even considerd a Bernina is that I am planning on retiring and moving and the shop that will be closest to me sell Bernina's I was also hoping to teach a class or two at that shop and thought I might want to know how to operate a Bernina. I purchased a manual Jem Gold second hand from the shop here for $100.00 bought a few acessories so I had a machine lighter than my 30 lbs kenmore which I still love after 35 years but need to have one to talk to classes that does a little more that the Janome I bought. I have the chance to get another one at this shop for around $250 and I think I am going to get the asseroiries I already bought for my jamone will fit the newer one.

I bought my first Bernina because my Viking was worn out. At the time the Viking just came out with computer machines, I test drove one for a week (the dealer figured for sure I would buy it, so let me try it for a week) I hated that machine, so drove another 45 miles to where a Bernina dealer had a shop. I explained what I had just done with the Viking and asked if I could test drive the Bernina for a week. I really got a strange look, but he said if I left a deposit check for 1/2 the cost, he would allow that. (he would keep the check and return it if I didn't like the machine) I took a 930 home and in a week took him another check for the balance. He was happy and I was happy. I still have that machine, but did upgrade to a 150 some years ago. I have a small featherweight to take to classes and a Bernina sport model when zig zag etc is needed in the class. Its light and just a basic machine, have no idea if they still make these.

How can anyone say that Janome is lacking in the embroidery area with the 11000SE out there. I love mine and don't feel it lacking in embroidery, plus there aren't any huge embroidery attachments that need to have their own storage bag cause they're so big. A big plus for me.

In the 1990s when I wanted to buy a computerized machine I asked my favorite sewing machine dealer which machine he would recommend based on the service record, was most user friendly and most important... which machine he would buy for his wife... without hesitation he said the Janome. He insisted I test drive some of the other brands he carries/services with similar options, and it didn't take long to know he was right.... it was the Janome I wanted. I've had no regrets!

Blog Entries
    let's avoid using this thread to complain about either brand.

when you average the opinions and individual experiences - good and bad - it always comes out the same. both are very good brands. lemons are few and far between.

list the features and factors that are important to you. then get the one that meets all or the most of those criteria within your budget. if the one you really want is outside your budget, save up some more. ;-)

When I was shopping for a machine the Janome was sold in a vacuum store and the man that demonstrated it was knowledgeable, he wasn't a sewer. The Bernina was sold in a sewing store where they also sold fabrics etc. and had regularly scheduled classes. So, for the support provided and for the BSR, Bernina won out. I enjoy attending classes, Bernina Club and getting to know so many wonderful sewers! Lots of good inspiration and information available in the company of other sewers.

I love the Bernina feet, they are so simple to change, the stitch plate just pops out with no tools needed, and I prefer the front-load bobbin because I can change it without removing whatever I'm sewing or embroidering to get to it.

When I got my first Bernina I loved it so much that I gave my Janome away immediately and haven't missed it at all.

I agree though about the convenience of the embroidery arm being part of the 11000 and not having a module to store / attach for embroidery. Janome's 11000 hoops are squarer and mostly wider than Bernina's current range (except for the new 830).

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    ist the features and factors that are important to you. then get the one that meets all or the most of those criteria within your budget. if the one you really want is outside your budget, save up some more. ;-)
    Alternatively, look for a gently used one! I am really lucky to have a great Bernina store that is run by Mennonites not very far away. They take most any model on trades, so sometimes will have really nice used machines.

Also, there is a yahoo group, "Sewitsforsale" that has machines listed several times a week. That's where I got my Janome Plantinum, for about half what I would have had to pay new.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure but I have been told that Bernette is made by Janome I also agree that the Bernina is the best I have 2 Pfaffs older and the Bernina 440QE I love the stitch regulator for quilting and it's stitching is far supperior to any other machine that I have used wonderful decorative stitches

Blog Entries
    For me, the big consideration in purchasing my sewing machine was the dealer - I chose a Bernina because of the dealer's reputation for service.

I love the Bernina quality far more than the Janome but I have 2 of both...I have a Bernina 830 embroidery and a Janome 10001 embroidery...cost of Bernina was much higher but the embroidery is beyond compare and it has a much bigger embroidery field...I am actually selling my Janome....but the plus for the Janome is the embroidery module is built in to the machine...taking my Bernina is like packing the house....as far as piecing I use my Janome 3000 most of the time and its a nice sturdy machine...if I am going to a class..I take my Bernina 240...its always packed and resdy to go...I would say...compare..test drive and pay attention to customer service...my Bernina dealer has a much better customer service..the people are always willing to help...the Janome dealer that is here now won't give you the time of day unless your there to spend.....blessings

I recently purchased a Bernina 440 QE. There are two reasons I choose Bernine. 1) The quality seems to be above all the rest and 2) the BSR. I also have a Singer QE and of course a Featherweight. I don't have to worry about lugging around my Bernina because I always take by Featherweight when I travel.
    The other reasons I purchased my Bernina is the sales people were very patient with me and took their time with me much more than the Jarome people. I knew how to work the machine before I put any money on it. The people made the difference, and of course the BSR.

I own two Janome's and a brand new Pfaff Grand Quilter. I chose Janome because the dealer is very close, however, I have not yet had to have my machines serviced. I have not test drove a bernina but in the long run I think whatever machine does what you want it to do and the price consideration is the one you should go with. They are both probably very comparable. I purchased my Janome 6600 because I wanted the needle down option for FMQ, etc. I also like the room it has, has many stitches which I will never use and it is a workhorse. Good luck with your decision.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I don't know anything about Janome machines but I always wanted a Bernina and love mine. Never had a single problem with it.
    I also love my old Singers and I have 1 noisy Kenmore that I will never part with b/c it's my first machine and my Dad bought it for me :) I put a lot of miles on that one!!

About two years ago, I didn't know anything about sewing, quilting or sewing machines. We were working in Boise, ID for three months and my husband and I had conflicting work schedules that I had a lot of free time, I was looking for something to fill the free time I had. We happened to be staying near a quilt shop that I passed very often and noticed that they were advertising beginner quilt classes...Keep in mind I knew nothing about any of that, but I was intrigued, long story short I signed up for the class series.

I had no sewing machine, never even touched one. The teacher lent me one of her spare sewing machines to take home so I can do some work on the quilt we were working on. Imagine someone who knows nothing about anything trying to learn many tricks. Anyway, I got it figured out with a lot of help from the teacher and the hubby.

That machine was an older Bernina, I can't remember the model.
    I finished my quilt top on that machine, put the top away, and gave the machine back.

A little over a year later, I decided that I want to get back to quilting and purchase my own machine. I started shopping around. Test drove three or four machines, I can't remember if Janome was one of them. Having nothing to compare to but that old Bernina, I was shocked by how "loud" the other machines were, and they felt very light. I thought my memory was failing me about the Bernina sewing experience, so I went to a Bernina dealer and test drove one...my husband who was with me through the whole shopping ordeal said "Get the quiet Bernina." That was that!

And for the record, that teacher must be a saint, I would never loan my Bernina to anyone, much less some girl who knew nothing about nothing when it came to sewing. :) I love my Bernina, for someone who is challenged in the sewing area, I appreciate the easy to use, sturdy and quiet machine. I could sew while my husband is sleeping in the same room. :thumbup: And I've never had a minute of trouble with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie
    I'm not sure but I have been told that Bernette is made by Janome I also agree that the Bernina is the best I have 2 Pfaffs older and the Bernina 440QE I love the stitch regulator for quilting and it's stitching is far supperior to any other machine that I have used wonderful decorative stitches
    Bernette is made for/by (however you want to phrase it) Bernina. They are much less expensive machines. They are not as nice as Berninas, however, many people love theirs, especially as class or second machines, and they come with the same dealer classes and support as a Bernina. Most people seem to only object to them because of where they're made, which I think is a ridiculous argument. JMO

I'm on my third Bernina in thirty years - not because I needed a new machine but because I wanted to upgrade. I always get terrific trade- in prices.I bought my first one for $400 and got $400 for it when I traded it in 20 years later.Love them!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast