Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why a Bernina over a Jamone Sewing machine >

Why a Bernina over a Jamone Sewing machine

Why a Bernina over a Jamone Sewing machine

Old 12-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Banned

I am a "Bernina" woman. I have used them all my sewing years, Tried a Janome once. It was OK but did not compare. Love my Bernina.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:35 PM

I have 2 Berninas, one is and older 1160 which I still use often the other is my 180 embroidery/quilting machine. Both make beautiful stitches and I can always count on them. Did a test drive recently on a Janome and was not impressed. I'll stick to my Bernina.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:37 PM

i have a little Bernette - and i like it. I also have an older Singer - 40s or 50s and it is much better workhorse because it will work w/ heavier weight fabrics. I do know that the Bernette isn't designed for the real heavy duty stuff
Old 12-03-2010, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by memere9
Originally Posted by Candace
I have both a Janome and Bernina! Get two is my motto:> To be serious. Nothing compares to the quality of a Bernina. That being said, it's the most expensive on the market. IMHO worth it, but Janome has an excellent reputation and I was thrilled with my 9000 until I upgraded to my Bernina. So....it really is preference and how much you want to spend on a new toy.
It seems you can get more for your money with a Janome
Yes, because Janome is made cheaper in China with cheaper materials. I love my Janome, but there really is no comparison to a Bernina. It's like comparing a Chevy to a Rolls Royce. There's nothing wrong with a Chevy. But, once you've driven a Rolls Royce, it's hard to go back!
Old 12-03-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 117becca
i have a little Bernette - and i like it. I also have an older Singer - 40s or 50s and it is much better workhorse because it will work w/ heavier weight fabrics. I do know that the Bernette isn't designed for the real heavy duty stuff
Just an FYI a Bernette is NOT a Bernina. It's made for Bernina but not BY Bernina. Clear as mud;>
Old 12-03-2010, 03:29 PM

I don't have a Bernina or a Janome. But I would love to have BSR if I was going to a new machine.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:40 PM

I have three Janome's and never had a problem with any of them. I never test drove a Bernina per sae but the price of the extra feet and the fact two of my friends had Berninas and they were in the shop more than they were in their homes.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:48 PM

Never had a Bernina only a Janome 8000 and that was a Surprise from my hubby- years ago both are still great after all these years!!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Yes, because Janome is made cheaper in China with cheaper materials.
my Janome boxes said made in Japan.

and they are not at all cheap.

as much as i love my Janomes i can also say that i've never met a Bernina owner who wasn't absolutely crazy over it. not one has ever said she wished she'd bought something different. i don't know if it's true of all models, but the bernina a friend has is quieter than either of my janomes. i think you'll be pleased whichever you buy. pick the one that offers the most for the amount you can afford to spend. you will not regret it. :-)
Old 12-03-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Yes, because Janome is made cheaper in China with cheaper materials.
my Janome boxes said made in Japan.

and they are not at all cheap.

as much as i love my Janomes i can also say that i've never met a Bernina owner who wasn't absolutely crazy over it. not one has ever said she wished she'd bought something different. i don't know if it's true of all models, but the bernina a friend has is quieter than either of my janomes. i think you'll be pleased whichever you buy. pick the one that offers the most for the amount you can afford to spend. you will not regret it. :-)
Yup, my bad. Japan. I didn't say cheap, I said cheaper.