Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why a Bernina over a Jamone Sewing machine

Quote Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    I learned to sew on my mother's featherweight. I worked for over a year at a Bernina dealer's shop where they stayed afloat by doing custom dressmaking and alterations. I not only learned a whole lot about garmet sewing and alterations but I fell in love with the Berninas we sewed on everyday. I had purchased one of the first Embroidery machines Bernina sold before I started working for the dealer. I also had purchased a beginner Bernina serger from the same dealer. The embroidery machine was actually a Brother patent and used the PES format. I later traded it up to the next higher model. In the meantime I was able to purchase a then new model 1260 sewing machine at the dealer's cost since I worked for them. That model didn't have the capacity to clock the hours used. I am still using it and it probably has thousands and thousands of hours on it. In the last year I purchased another Bernina machine that has the plastic housing. It makes it about ten pounds lighter than my 1260 and it actually has a few more decorative stitches than the older model. It cost a third of what I paid for the other machine. I had to spend a couple of extra hundred dollars to have the foot pedal upgraded and the knee bar installed. I have upgraded my Bernina serger in the last couple of years to one that threads easier. I use it almost daily when I am working on Linus quilts. In all I now possess 4 Berninas, a new Brother embroidery machine, a featherweight and an antique tredel machine. Given a choice I would grab my 1260 first if I had to leave any of my machines behind.
    Note: At the time I purchased my first Bernina sewing machine I made a choice to get the 1260 because of the quality of the straight stitch. I don't like the combination machines. The ones that also do embroidery don't have a stable straight stitch because the needle housing must be able to move in so many directions. The other reason is because I hate to have to change the machine around everytime I want to either sew or embroider. I spent more money for my serger just to have the built in rolled hem capacity for the same reason.
    I love, love, love my 1260! :thumbup:

KLO
    Blog Entries
    I have a Bernina 153QE that I bought second hand a few years ago from my LQS. I swore I would never buy a Bernina but I was sewing on an old Singer that was giving me trouble. The owner of the shop said for years that he was going to sell me a machine and finally did. Well, I love this little machine. It does all and more than I could ask for. The only change I would make would be to enlarge the throat space which I gather they have done finally with a newer model. Might do a trade in for that one day.

I had a bare bones Janome that I absolutely hated from the day I brought it home. It gave me nothing but trouble. When I bought one to replace it, it was a Bernina. I love my Bernina. I kept the Janome as a spare in case the Bernina ever breaks down. So far, I haven't used it.

Blog Entries
    I wonder if you got a lemon. I've heard very little or no complaints about Janome machines.

My best friend urged me to get one about 9 years ago. She said it made sewing so much fun, I wouldn't be able to stop! Well she was right and I'm still sewing with it and loving it. I miss my friend, she passed away 2 years ago from cancer, but I think of her everyday when I sit down to sew....maybe I should name my machine Lynette, after my friend!

Does anyone know how much a Bernina 630 costs? When you go to the Bernina website, they don't give you the prices. someone is selling a used 630 and I need to know the original cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Alisapao730
    Does anyone know how much a Bernina 630 costs? When you go to the Bernina website, they don't give you the prices. someone is selling a used 630 and I need to know the original cost.
    Check on ebay.

I bought a Bernina 1230 used with several different feet. A fellow quilter had the 1260 and she loved hers plus I got such a GREAT buy with the feet. It came with a old horn cabinet but I didn't need it and it was real unsteady so gave it away. I really do love it...and when I think of buying a newer model I ask why when this one does everything I need it to. I would love to get a plexi glass insert cut so that the throat plate area would be level with the top of the sewing machine cabinet for machine quilting. I bought a piece of plexiglass a couple of years ago and heard that it was so hard to cut I never got around to cutting it. Figuring out the pattern for where the plexiglass would go wasn't an easy chore either :roll: Definitely love my Bernina!

My Bernina is over 30 years old. She is just a basic machine, nothing fancy but she is a work horse, and has been well loved. All she has ever gotten is a good cleaning between projects to get the dust bunnies out. I always give a :thumbup: to bernina for such a good machine.

I'm prepared to be corrected on my attitude toward this question, if anyone can explain my misunderstanding of this situation, but here goes:
    My understanding is that most sewing machine brands are owned by holding companies these days. The machines are generally manufactured in China, in the one factory, and re - badged. This is especially true for the sergers. There are low - end and high - end designs in each brand, and you get what you pay for. I would prefer the Bernina because it is still a privately owned company and it is only the two low - end Bernina models that are made in China. Having said that, I don't own a Bernina or a Janome. I have Babylock, Pfaff, Brother and Husqvarna. The only one I'm disappointed with is the Pfaff as I have a communication problem between it and the computer so my embroidery section is limited.

i got my New Home (Janome) over 25 years ago after test driving bernina, pfaff and everything else. my dealer sold both and told me that any parts for the bernina would take a long time to bring over, so i got the new home. aside from maintence, is has never been in the hospital. never. it hums like a baby. the plastic body is scratched, it doesn't look new, but it still embroiders without missing a stitch and does more stitches than i'll ever use. i love it to death. i bought the gem for traveling and another gem for my dd. i also have a viking 1+ which i like a lot, but nothing beats my new home/janome. if it dies tomorrow, i would replace it with another janome. if my viking died i might get a bernina. the parts are easy to get now.

Looks like you are getting a lot of info. I have an old Bernina 830 from the 60's. I've made sails for sail boats, boat covers, leather straps on my sandals and a moire taffeta and lace wedding gown for my daughter. It just sewed everyting and has wonderful stitching. I used to do a lot of machine embroidery with it. It doesn't have an embroidery module, but it was hand guided. It could do everything and I only took it in about once a year for yearly maintenance. It ran great. When the BSR came out, I was finally tempted to get a new Bernina 440 QE. I would never give up my old one, but the new one is just as good. I love the needle down and all the other new features that came out after the old 830. The new machine is just as sturdy as my old one. I really couldn't afford either Bernina, but bought them both on time payments. The new one was 0% interest if paid in one year. I wouldn't have anything but a Bernina. They are both heavy, but I have used a featherweight for classes. But I do take my Bernina on vacations. They are so smooth, easy to operate and I have never had any problems with either. They really are worth the money. Believe me, I've had other machines.
    Verna

I bought a Janome cuz the price was cheaper but the throat was larger. I looked at both and there were probably other factors but its been more than 4 yrs since I bought it.

My friend bought her Bernina at the same time I got my Janome6500 and she told me later that she wished she had gotten the 6500 or 6600 instead.

We get what we want at the time, based on price, requirements etc. I'm sure there are many happy Bernina owners here too.

Warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

I love Berninas....love the way the sew, feel, and how solid they are.

I was replacing a Singer from the late 80s that was nothing but trouble. I lived in a small town in South Carolina and the only machine dealer for 70 miles was the local quilt shop. She sold Berninas,I bought a 1031. I still have it and its still a great machine even after nearly 19 years.
    It was great to have a machine that sewed without problems.

Blog Entries
    that is just what I was thinking, no chevy for me now. plus my BIL is a repair man and he said to get the bernina if at all possable, so that is what I got

Blog Entries
    I bought a Bernina 440QE in August and I love it! It sews beautiful and I love the way the feet attach...very easy! I tried the New Horizon, but I just didn't like it as much and I felt like I would have more support from the shop with the Bernina and I haven't been disappointed in that either.

Good luck to you! It's such a big decision when you are spending that kind of money!

I had a Bernina a few years ago - at the time it was top of the line and it was a piece of s........ i couldn't even make buttonholes on a wool jacket!!! It would not sew through 2 thickness of wool plus interfacing - some machine!!

darlene

P.S. I have heard from an expert in all the machine, Viking, Phaff, Bernina, etc. that Babylock is your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by darleneerickson
    I had a Bernina a few years ago - at the time it was top of the line and it was a piece of s........ i couldn't even make buttonholes on a wool jacket!!! It would not sew through 2 thickness of wool plus interfacing - some machine!!

darlene

P.S. I have heard from an expert in all the machine, Viking, Phaff, Bernina, etc. that Babylock is your best bet.
    Which model was this?

I have always sold and used Bernina's. It is still made in Switzerland and is far superior to other machines in what it does. Now that being said, it just depends on what you want to do. I sold more machines when I taught at Stretch and Sew making tiny button holes in tricot gowns, etc. The other women could not do that and just hated it. The stitch quality is supurb. I think the embroidery is excellent, but understand the Brother and maybe Janome do a very good job on embroidery also. It really depends on how much money you have for your toys. I did not buy the newest one as I really think my 200 is supurb and I refuse to spend $12,000 on a sewing machine. More than my long arm machine. Happy hunting.

Peg-TX
    Innova 18"

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peg-TX
    I have always sold and used Bernina's. It is still made in Switzerland and is far superior to other machines in what it does. Now that being said, it just depends on what you want to do. I sold more machines when I taught at Stretch and Sew making tiny button holes in tricot gowns, etc. The other women could not do that and just hated it. The stitch quality is supurb. I think the embroidery is excellent, but understand the Brother and maybe Janome do a very good job on embroidery also. It really depends on how much money you have for your toys. I did not buy the newest one as I really think my 200 is supurb and I refuse to spend $12,000 on a sewing machine. More than my long arm machine. Happy hunting.

Peg-TX
    Innova 18"
    Aaaacckkkk!!! $12,000? Which machine goes for that? I know the new Bernina 830s are $8,000+. Wow! I got my floor model 640 three or four years ago with the embroidery module, the walking foot and a BSR(which I never use) for $5,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peg-TX
    I have always sold and used Bernina's. It is still made in Switzerland and is far superior to other machines in what it does. Now that being said, it just depends on what you want to do. I sold more machines when I taught at Stretch and Sew making tiny button holes in tricot gowns, etc. The other women could not do that and just hated it. The stitch quality is supurb. I think the embroidery is excellent, but understand the Brother and maybe Janome do a very good job on embroidery also. It really depends on how much money you have for your toys. I did not buy the newest one as I really think my 200 is supurb and I refuse to spend $12,000 on a sewing machine.
    More than my long arm machine. Happy hunting.

Peg-TX
    Innova 18"
    Aaaacckkkk!!! $12,000? Which machine goes for that? I know the new Bernina 830s are $8,000+. Wow! I got my floor model 640 three or four years ago with the embroidery module, the walking foot and a BSR(which I never use) for $5,000.
    The 830 Bernina is On sale in Australia for $12999...and the software costs $1999 as there is a $500 discount for Christmas....

Quote Originally Posted by darleneerickson

darlene

maybe you just got a lemon...

Quote Originally Posted by memere9
    It seems you can get more for your money with a Janome
    I totally agree. I have the Janome 9700--it is both an embroidery and regular sewing machine. The price was too good to pass up. I have the machine over 4 years now and it works just great. I do take it in annually for a good cleaning and have never had any problems with it.

I started this post and it is interesting to see the passion we all have for our sewing machines. I think price will be my deciding factor. I don't think I can afford a Bernina and I can buy another Janome locally.

Thanks for all your import but I think I have made my decision

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast