Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why a Bernina over a Jamone Sewing machine >

Why a Bernina over a Jamone Sewing machine

Why a Bernina over a Jamone Sewing machine

Old 12-04-2010, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
ist the features and factors that are important to you. then get the one that meets all or the most of those criteria within your budget. if the one you really want is outside your budget, save up some more. ;-)
Alternatively, look for a gently used one! I am really lucky to have a great Bernina store that is run by Mennonites not very far away. They take most any model on trades, so sometimes will have really nice used machines.

Also, there is a yahoo group, "Sewitsforsale" that has machines listed several times a week. That's where I got my Janome Plantinum, for about half what I would have had to pay new.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:13 AM

I'm not sure but I have been told that Bernette is made by Janome I also agree that the Bernina is the best I have 2 Pfaffs older and the Bernina 440QE I love the stitch regulator for quilting and it's stitching is far supperior to any other machine that I have used wonderful decorative stitches
Old 12-04-2010, 05:29 AM

For me, the big consideration in purchasing my sewing machine was the dealer - I chose a Bernina because of the dealer's reputation for service.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:53 AM

I love the Bernina quality far more than the Janome but I have 2 of both...I have a Bernina 830 embroidery and a Janome 10001 embroidery...cost of Bernina was much higher but the embroidery is beyond compare and it has a much bigger embroidery field...I am actually selling my Janome....but the plus for the Janome is the embroidery module is built in to the machine...taking my Bernina is like packing the house....as far as piecing I use my Janome 3000 most of the time and its a nice sturdy machine...if I am going to a class..I take my Bernina 240...its always packed and resdy to go...I would say...compare..test drive and pay attention to customer service...my Bernina dealer has a much better customer service..the people are always willing to help...the Janome dealer that is here now won't give you the time of day unless your there to spend.....blessings
Old 12-04-2010, 06:02 AM

I recently purchased a Bernina 440 QE. There are two reasons I choose Bernine. 1) The quality seems to be above all the rest and 2) the BSR. I also have a Singer QE and of course a Featherweight. I don't have to worry about lugging around my Bernina because I always take by Featherweight when I travel.
The other reasons I purchased my Bernina is the sales people were very patient with me and took their time with me much more than the Jarome people. I knew how to work the machine before I put any money on it. The people made the difference, and of course the BSR.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:09 AM

I own two Janome's and a brand new Pfaff Grand Quilter. I chose Janome because the dealer is very close, however, I have not yet had to have my machines serviced. I have not test drove a bernina but in the long run I think whatever machine does what you want it to do and the price consideration is the one you should go with. They are both probably very comparable. I purchased my Janome 6600 because I wanted the needle down option for FMQ, etc. I also like the room it has, has many stitches which I will never use and it is a workhorse. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I don't know anything about Janome machines but I always wanted a Bernina and love mine. Never had a single problem with it.
I also love my old Singers and I have 1 noisy Kenmore that I will never part with b/c it's my first machine and my Dad bought it for me :) I put a lot of miles on that one!!
Old 12-04-2010, 06:30 AM

About two years ago, I didn't know anything about sewing, quilting or sewing machines. We were working in Boise, ID for three months and my husband and I had conflicting work schedules that I had a lot of free time, I was looking for something to fill the free time I had. We happened to be staying near a quilt shop that I passed very often and noticed that they were advertising beginner quilt classes...Keep in mind I knew nothing about any of that, but I was intrigued, long story short I signed up for the class series.

I had no sewing machine, never even touched one. The teacher lent me one of her spare sewing machines to take home so I can do some work on the quilt we were working on. Imagine someone who knows nothing about anything trying to learn many tricks. Anyway, I got it figured out with a lot of help from the teacher and the hubby.

That machine was an older Bernina, I can't remember the model.
I finished my quilt top on that machine, put the top away, and gave the machine back.

A little over a year later, I decided that I want to get back to quilting and purchase my own machine. I started shopping around. Test drove three or four machines, I can't remember if Janome was one of them. Having nothing to compare to but that old Bernina, I was shocked by how "loud" the other machines were, and they felt very light. I thought my memory was failing me about the Bernina sewing experience, so I went to a Bernina dealer and test drove one...my husband who was with me through the whole shopping ordeal said "Get the quiet Bernina." That was that!

And for the record, that teacher must be a saint, I would never loan my Bernina to anyone, much less some girl who knew nothing about nothing when it came to sewing. :) I love my Bernina, for someone who is challenged in the sewing area, I appreciate the easy to use, sturdy and quiet machine. I could sew while my husband is sleeping in the same room. :thumbup: And I've never had a minute of trouble with it.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dodie
I'm not sure but I have been told that Bernette is made by Janome I also agree that the Bernina is the best I have 2 Pfaffs older and the Bernina 440QE I love the stitch regulator for quilting and it's stitching is far supperior to any other machine that I have used wonderful decorative stitches
Bernette is made for/by (however you want to phrase it) Bernina. They are much less expensive machines. They are not as nice as Berninas, however, many people love theirs, especially as class or second machines, and they come with the same dealer classes and support as a Bernina. Most people seem to only object to them because of where they're made, which I think is a ridiculous argument. JMO
Old 12-04-2010, 06:38 AM

I'm on my third Bernina in thirty years - not because I needed a new machine but because I wanted to upgrade. I always get terrific trade- in prices.I bought my first one for $400 and got $400 for it when I traded it in 20 years later.Love them!!