Old 12-04-2010, 12:11 PM
IrishNY

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
I learned to sew on my mother's featherweight. I worked for over a year at a Bernina dealer's shop where they stayed afloat by doing custom dressmaking and alterations. I not only learned a whole lot about garmet sewing and alterations but I fell in love with the Berninas we sewed on everyday. I had purchased one of the first Embroidery machines Bernina sold before I started working for the dealer. I also had purchased a beginner Bernina serger from the same dealer. The embroidery machine was actually a Brother patent and used the PES format. I later traded it up to the next higher model. In the meantime I was able to purchase a then new model 1260 sewing machine at the dealer's cost since I worked for them. That model didn't have the capacity to clock the hours used. I am still using it and it probably has thousands and thousands of hours on it. In the last year I purchased another Bernina machine that has the plastic housing. It makes it about ten pounds lighter than my 1260 and it actually has a few more decorative stitches than the older model. It cost a third of what I paid for the other machine. I had to spend a couple of extra hundred dollars to have the foot pedal upgraded and the knee bar installed. I have upgraded my Bernina serger in the last couple of years to one that threads easier. I use it almost daily when I am working on Linus quilts. In all I now possess 4 Berninas, a new Brother embroidery machine, a featherweight and an antique tredel machine. Given a choice I would grab my 1260 first if I had to leave any of my machines behind.
Note: At the time I purchased my first Bernina sewing machine I made a choice to get the 1260 because of the quality of the straight stitch. I don't like the combination machines. The ones that also do embroidery don't have a stable straight stitch because the needle housing must be able to move in so many directions. The other reason is because I hate to have to change the machine around everytime I want to either sew or embroider. I spent more money for my serger just to have the built in rolled hem capacity for the same reason.
I love, love, love my 1260! :thumbup: