View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 10:36 AM
lab fairy

Look into a Pfaff. You will never need a walking foot because they are built in. I'd never "trade down" from here. I might buy a second machine that had bells and whistles mine doesn't but I would never not have a Pfaff. You definitely get what you pay for when you look at machines. Many times people don't know what they are missing when you get opinions to buy really cheap. Look at everything: warranty, warranty service (who does it and where can be very important), needle up/down, how does it sew over a variety of fabrics (this is important to me since I don't just use a machine to piece), can you drop the feed dogs, how expensive are accessory feet, do you get new owner classes, if it comes with software is it compatible with your computer's operating system, etc.

I always take a "test kit" with me. My kit has a variety of fabrics, different threads, a couple small quilt sandwiches or two, etc. Anything I can think I'd possibly use the machine on. It is amazing how many times you end up hemming jeans and pants when you swear you never will. :-)

Testing a machine also allows you to interact with the dealer. I walked away from a machine when I had to explain to she DEALER how to make a buttonhole (she thought the machine was broken). Since she was going to be teaching me how to use the machine in NEW OWNER classes (always part of the price) I decided she should have been paying me.