Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
plz help me choose a sewing machine >

plz help me choose a sewing machine

plz help me choose a sewing machine

Old 12-05-2010, 09:13 AM

Hello,
I really need help picking a sewing machine to buy. I get overwhelmed when I go to the store and get shown the $2000 amazing machines. I am thinking of getting a serger and a regular sewing machine. I'm imagining a price of $400 each, give or take. I am willing to buy used, but it's so hard to know what is an acceptable price. So....any suggestions for great machines? Thank you!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:32 AM

They have the Babylock Decorators choice, that was 600-700$, now the name has been changed--so maybe it will be a good sale on them! I have one and love it,and it cuts the thread after stitching.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:41 AM

Thank you for your reply. I remember looking at that one in the store, and am curious as to whether the price has gone down. I'm wondering if this is a good deal.
http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...2/product.html
It has great reviews.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:23 AM

One of the main problems with this one:http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...02/product.htm, is the fact that there's not a whole lot of room under the arm, which might be fine if you're just sewing clothing but try stuffing even a baby size quilt under there and you just might throw it out the door. I would shop at some dealers and see what they have in trade ins that would work for you. About the only other thing I would recommend is, don't get a new Singer, old one yes, in my own opinion.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by herins
Thank you for your reply. I remember looking at that one in the store, and am curious as to whether the price has gone down. I'm wondering if this is a good deal.
http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...2/product.html
It has great reviews.
I have a saphire 830 sewing machine was kinda pricey but the depth of the throat is great if u are going to quilt on it u need one with a good throat. also watch out for the cheaper machines suggest u go to a sewing machine repair shop and get one that has been reconditioned by them with at least a one year parts and labor warrenty. the Janome, bernina, viking saphire, and now the babylock are all well known quilting/sewing machines.

and as the addage goes you get what u pay for. if you buy a cheapie you will be sorry.

yours in quilting
Chris
Old 12-05-2010, 10:36 AM

Look into a Pfaff. You will never need a walking foot because they are built in. I'd never "trade down" from here. I might buy a second machine that had bells and whistles mine doesn't but I would never not have a Pfaff. You definitely get what you pay for when you look at machines. Many times people don't know what they are missing when you get opinions to buy really cheap. Look at everything: warranty, warranty service (who does it and where can be very important), needle up/down, how does it sew over a variety of fabrics (this is important to me since I don't just use a machine to piece), can you drop the feed dogs, how expensive are accessory feet, do you get new owner classes, if it comes with software is it compatible with your computer's operating system, etc.

I always take a "test kit" with me. My kit has a variety of fabrics, different threads, a couple small quilt sandwiches or two, etc. Anything I can think I'd possibly use the machine on. It is amazing how many times you end up hemming jeans and pants when you swear you never will. :-)

Testing a machine also allows you to interact with the dealer. I walked away from a machine when I had to explain to she DEALER how to make a buttonhole (she thought the machine was broken). Since she was going to be teaching me how to use the machine in NEW OWNER classes (always part of the price) I decided she should have been paying me.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:40 AM

I traded up from a Babylock Crafters Choice (which I loved, but did not have a walking foot) to a Babylock Quest Plus. I love it even more than the Crafters Choice. I traded within the first year after purchasing the Crafters Choice and received what I paid for it in the trade in. Great deal . I have been sewing all weekend and keep saying to myself, " I love this machine".
Old 12-05-2010, 10:52 AM

Go to www.kenssewingcenter.com to check out their machines. They may even have a trade in that meets your price range and criteria.

If you can buy from a dealer, you will have better support and better quality.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to buy!
Old 12-05-2010, 11:29 AM

Oh my goodness, they ship to Canada...I'll start looking through those machines! Thank you!