Old 12-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Sierra

I have many of the things already mentioned, but since I have arthritis I also have: needle nose pliers with spring-back (I squeeze, let go, and they open right up)... both straight and curved snouts. These are good for picking up tread ends, pins, small pieces of fabric blocks...

Also when stitching (I only use the machine because I can't hold a needle) I wear rubberized gardening gloves [NOTE: it is very important to get tighter fitting and small rubberized dots, which I've never found in a quilting store, only in Target or Home depot gardening departments.] The gloves make it easy to hold onto larger pieces of material and are wonderful especially when doing the actual quilting. My hands used to hurt like crazy and I'd have to stop for the day, but since I began using the gloves I can keep going!

An additional hint... even if you use your magnet to pick up pins, take advantage of the situation and SQUAT for each pin. It was terribly hard at first but now I can do it without holding on to a chair or anything. Not only do I feel MUCH better after hours of quilting, but my body moves better in general. Of course I'm old (70) so stretching is especially important for me. But try it; you may agree.