Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What is one of the handiest little tools you have in your sewing room?

I have a little measuring tool that I keep by my sewing machine all the time. I was just checking out my e-mail from Fabrics.com and they have this same little measuring tool on sale right now for...get ready....for >28 cents! Bet you didn't know you could get anything for 28 cents anymore. Check it out. It is just called Measuring Tool. Stock # is NR-460.
    It will be interesting to see what your favorite little tool is.

Hmm, favorite little tool? Besides my seam ripper? :lol: I keep a spool of scotch tape & one of double sided right by my machine. My new machine has a clear bobbin cover that tends to slide open so I tape it shut (easy enough to peel off tape when I change the bobbin). And the double sided is for the weird sewing I do for work with this plastic stuff that's slippery to hold onto. I also keep a few clothespins handy for clamping layers together, cheaper than binder clips & well, I had a ton of them.

I've got two or three magnets near by. Easier to pick up meandering pins with a magnet than with my stubby fingers.

my seem ripper would top the list. followed by magnets and pin cushions, I have made quite a few pin cushions you can never have enough

My favorite tool is my binding tool. Super easy to use. I

http://www.missouriquiltco.com/catal...by+susan+brown

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsapquilter
    I have a little measuring tool that I keep by my sewing machine all the time. I was just checking out my e-mail from Fabrics.com and they have this same little measuring tool on sale right now for...get ready....for >28 cents! Bet you didn't know you could get anything for 28 cents anymore. Check it out. It is just called Measuring Tool. Stock # is NR-460.
    I acutally got one of those free after my 2nd order from fabric.com - I love it

I like my Fons and Porter binding tool.

Mine is an extra long tweezers that i use to thread the needle on my machine..saves my eyesight :!:

Don't know if it's my favorite.......but it is the MOST used tool I have. I couldn't do anything without it. I use a 6" buttonhole ruler for quick measuring of everything..... I have them placed everywhere. Great gadget!

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    I have a plastic-coated cloth measuring tape that I snipped to 3.5 inches. It sits right at my machine. Can't believe how handy it is.

also recently purchased a side-winder. It's great and I don't have to unthread my machine, but it seems to wind the bobbin thread a bit messily. ('Messily' is a funny word.)

OH! and I have a Really sharp pair of small scissors attached to a ribbon, attached to a batting-stuffed pincushion heart that hangs around my neck. It's like my jewelry.

I MUST have my tiny pair of scissors! I really need to get a back-up. Really throws me if they go missing for a minute!

My favorite is a little pair of tweezer sisscors[forget their name but they sure are handy]

Blog Entries
    My Bernina Swiss Army Knife! My DH bought it for me because he thought it looked cool (men!). It has a tiny rotary cutter, scissors, seam ripper, awl, threader, chalk markers, eyelet punch and a measuring guage...I keep it near my machine at all times!

Don't know if this considered a tool, but it is to me. It is an old fashioned flat iron that I'm in the habit of reaching for to hold down the end of my cutting ruler so it doesn't slip on that last few inches of a cut!!! Next would be a pincushion. Need one that moves around with me!!

Mine would be thread snips. I have one by each of my sewing machines & one on the ironing board. When I took home ec class in Jr High we got points deducted for loose threads & I guess it stuck with me!

i love my little snip it's i have it beside my machine so i can snip threads as i go hate to do it after i have something done

mine is my seam ripper, tweezers, small sissors on a layard

I use my tweezers for a stiletto also.

Blog Entries
    I think my favorite tool is my awl. I use it for many things. Next would be my small scissors.

Seam ripper :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsapquilter
    OMG!!! I have one in my sewing room and it is in the package and the price??? $5.00. :-(

Mine is my nippers. I have them by all my machines. Second, is my tiny Wahl battery operated mustash trimmer. They make a really fast seam ripper when I am working on a piecework quilt and make a little error!!.

I have a little piece of bone or ivory or I dunno what that's like flat child's craft needle. It has a little piece of my Grandma's brown lace hem tape thru the needle so it doesn't get lost. I use it to sweep the bobbin thread to the back after bringing it up. Also works like a stiletto. Just feels good in the hand and whenever I touch it, I remember Grandma. I get so much satisfaction from using her stuff. She was frugal and would love that I use her notions and remnants.

I have a pair of scissors on a lanyard to go around my neck when I'm sewing. Come to find out...it's my grandchildren's cue to me that they are ready to sew....with the scissors around their neck. The problem was....there are 3 of them....so my scissors/lanyard has multiplied to 3. I now have them all around my quilt studio!

Blog Entries
    Mine is my pin cushion.

Quote Originally Posted by mollymct
    I MUST have my tiny pair of scissors! I really need to get a back-up. Really throws me if they go missing for a minute!
    I'm with you. Small sharp pointed scissors are a must. They can even substitute for a seam ripper.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast