Thread: accu cutter
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 05:53 PM
All Thumbs

Wha-a-a-a- Hoooooo! My AccuQuiltGo Christmas present arrived last week and I have been shooting out precise cut squares and triangles ever since. While I have not made anything with them, I sure have been delighted as I demonstrated the process to everyone who has come through my house. :)

Now here comes my stats and testimony for my new play toy: I am into my Social Security years, have worn out the pads between my knuckles from my stenographer to computer tap dancing years, and arthritis has swollen the rest of me. I have three artificial joints and have had nine operations in my lifetime BUT nothing is going to keep me from quilting during my retirement, especially since I now have an AccuQuiltGo. I do charity and Project Linus quilting and am anxious to get delivery of the dies for strips and rectangles. The basic die that comes with the first purchase only entices one to buy what one would use more (ingenious business ploy for sure). As for the cute animal, etc. cutouts, I doubt that I will order those dies since I am not into applique but I could see where someone would utilize them.

At first, I thought turning the handle would be difficult but it is not. Hint: I start the die rolling with side with no material if I am just cutting a 4-inch square. My first cuts were six pieces of fabric. Then I experimented with eight layers. Yes, it was hard BUT, after grabbing the iron and pressing those eight layers, everything rolled right through.

Now here is my additional excitement: If one places right sides together of coordinating fabrics, then after cutting, one goes straight to the machine! No layering of two different pieces and no pinning is required because they have just been pressed(rolled) together extremely tight.

Blade safety--well, I have yet to feel those surgery sharp points as they are embedded deep within the die-sponge. I will, however, keep this machine and dies in a cabinet where children cannot reach, plus out of the way of anyone accidentally hitting the handle which sticks out. It would have been nice had the manufacturer made a handle lock.

Good luck everyone.....hope SantaClaus brings you one too.