View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 02:06 PM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by buckyfan19
I agree with all the responses posted, but I add this idea: Involve the recipient of the quilt in the planning process. I recently made my mom 14 checkerboard placemats... no small feat (in my opinion), and I went fabric shopping with her, gave her a few patterns to pick from, etc. It was nice because she had an idea of what she wanted/needed, but I was able to have some control, and I put my efforts into something I was confident she would love. I understand how both sides feel, because I have seen some homemade gifts where I thought "glad I didn't get that!", but I LOVE giving homemade things that the recipient will love as much as I have loved making it.
I figure if the recipient helps with the design, it is a fun project together and they can match colors to what they like/need/want.
Just an idea.
I love quilting, but honeslty, the projects that I start for myself never get completed.
Good luck!!
I really like this idea - except I asked my DIL what she wanted - and I was thinking couch size and she wanted a king-size.

I think it's a good idea to limit the choices to what you are able and willing to make.