View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 08:34 AM
justflyingin

On another note...

How long do you expect that person to keep your quilt that you gave? For life? What happens if it wears out?

I live in Poland far from my family, so I can do what I want with gifts. No one will be the wiser. However, my sis lives very close to my family and was next door to her MIL. She couldn't get rid of anything without someone being upset.

It is very controlling of the giver to expect that person to never get rid of it. Maybe if you make an heirloom quilt--expect that person to keep it pristine and forever. But as for me, if they use it a few years and wash it and was it, and then it kind of gets old it can be used for the dog, and then for rags...I'm fine with that. Why not? If they want to put it in a yard sale and get some money out of it, why not? (after a while--I'd hate to see it after only one or two months).

If I did one like I saw here on this board with all kinds of applique and years of work on it, then I'd probably not give it away.

I make a ton of charity quilts and they are pretty quick and people like them. I have a list of quilts I want to make "just because" but I have a bunch of these freebies to finish up before 2010 is over, hopefully.

So, I also see it both ways. The cheap Chinese quilts that you can buy on sale for $20 has affected people's mindset, though. They have no idea it costs as much as it does to make a quilt. On the other hand, if it isn't their taste...they feel required to use something they don't like.

However, the quilt you posted is quite classy and I'm sorry she left it outside on the ground. However, using it for a blanket on the ground (like a picnic blanket) isn't that bad to me. Maybe it's my age and attitude about things. However, she shouldn't have left it out there....

If we all had everything everyone made us/gave us, where would we live? Our houses would be crowded/cluttered--more than they already are.