View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 11:43 AM
JAGSD

When I first read this it made me start thinking. Mainly about teenagers and their treatment of things.But in reality it's not just teenagers. My mother made my son a beautiful quilt with horseheads all over, to my knowledge it is the first she had "given" away. Anyways, my son (and he Loves this quilt) used this quilt 24/7 mainly on his bed, but yes it has lain out underneath the stars in the summer, it has gone camping, I'm sure the dog when she was allowed in the house tested it out. It has been hauled in his pickup front and to my dismay in the back (not much space in the front of a pickup), Yes he still uses it. I seen the other day that the sashing is starting to fray so told him it needs repair. So was this misuse. Not in my eyes- "well used" and "well loved" both front and back. No... kids this age do not understand how much work is in one of these quilts but if this grandchild is like any kids this age. It very well could have been forgotten at a minutes notice and continued to lay where they had been enjoying being wrapped up in it. (show me a kid that is not forgetful)(and being a parent I would have asked or said that is not where it belongs take care of it) but on the same token kids need to learn and a part of that learning is speaking up about it as a parent and grandparent to the person. I would come right out and ask Why? Sometimes we keep things pent up and do not ask or find out the "why" of things and just let things boil until it harms "us" more than anything or anybody. I didn't mean for this to be anything more than my opinion, so take and use what you can of it and discard the rest.
Don't stop-Enjoy your quilting and gifting. But I hope that you resolve this issue with your grandchild,
I am truly learning that "materialistic" things just aren't worth the saving and maybe somedays.....and keeping nice for.... what if that day never comes?